I need opinions on Macbook Air 2015!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by spiritbox, Nov 11, 2016.

1. spiritbox macrumors newbie

spiritbox

Hey guys! So I was really looking forward to getting the 2016 Macbook Pro.
    Unfortunately, it is out of my price range and I recently bought a Dell XPS 15.
    I have been wanting to switch over to MacOS for a while now, but I honestly can't afford the new Pro.
    I have a friend at school who is offering to sell me his Macbook Air 13 2015 for 200-250$.
    It's in mint condition, since he got it as a present and never uses it. Is this a good deal?
    I know it's not a super powerful laptop, but I'll be using it to do simple school work and will keep my Dell XPS to do more graphic intensive work. I think it will also be a good way to transition to MacOS while I wait for next year's (or the year after's) Macbook Pro.

Thanks in advance!

2. pika2000 macrumors 68030

$200? For real? If it's real, just get it. You can always resell it again for more if you wanted to. :D

3. colorfuel macrumors member

Which model of MBA is it? If its a 2010 Model, the price seems justified.

4. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

A 2015 MBA? Just give him the money :D

5. spiritbox thread starter macrumors newbie

spiritbox

Dang didn't know it was that much of a bargain! Thanks :)

6. Macgyver1 macrumors member

Macgyver1

You should verify year/operation of the air. If all good and you purchase, you are seriously taking your friend to the cleaners. Some friend you turned out to be!

You may want to consider scrapping the hell, I mean Dell; once you go mac, you never go back. Just sayin'.

7. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

I don't believe it's a 2015 Air when he's selling it for $200. It sounds fishy.

8. kevinkyoo macrumors 6502a

kevinkyoo

Before you pay him, on the computer screen, go press the Apple logo and press "About this Mac." It will show you what year the computer was manufactured from. Either way, whether it's the 11" or 13", the baseline or the maxed out model, $200-250 is an absolute steal. Enjoy the computer if it works out for you!

9. Scepticalscribe, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I would be very surprised if this was a 2015 MBA; at that price, I would expect - perhaps - a 2010, or maybe 2011 MBA.

As others have said, go to the computer screen, press "About This Mac" and that will tell you what age this computer is.

Then, if it really is a MBA from 2015, you might want to ask yourself why someone is merely asking $200-250 for it.

Let us just say that I would have a few questions, myself, were I to find myself in your shoes.

10. spiritbox thread starter macrumors newbie

spiritbox

He's one of my close friends. He mentioned to me earlier this semester that he has a MacBook Air that never even touches. When the new MacBook Pro came out I couldn't afford the price, so I asked him if he'd consider selling me the MacBook Air he never uses. He said 200-250$ is fine for it since it's going to waste. He sent me pics of the serial number and it's legit. I'll double check before I complete the purchase though to be safe! Thanks for the info everyone!

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I am at a loss as to why he would sell it to you for so little.

Either he is wealthy beyond avarice, or, it is stolen, or you were comrades in arms in a previous life.

In early 2014, I sold a 2012 11" MBA to a colleague - a guy I was very friendly with - for around €700-€800; we both agreed it was a fair price, it was a fair bit below what I could expect to get for it, but he was a friend, and money is not my god.

However, if the laptop is legitimate - in other words, if it is not stolen goods, (why is your fried not using an almost new MBA?), and if your friend is completely indifferent to any sort of financial advantage, then, yes, this is a steal.

12. PaulWog Suspended

Young. Shy. Unable to get to the point: "Will you go on a date with me?"

That is my guess. Gay or straight, whatever it might be.

That, or rich, or very unaware of how money works.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Gosh.

That was an angle that would never have occurred to me.

14. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

You guys are pretty cynical (usually I am too). But I sold my 2011 MBA to a close friend in 2013 for a very low price. I wanted to upgrade to a new machine and this gave me a few bucks towards that at the same time as helping a friend. She actually insisted on paying me a bit more than I suggested, and she is still using it today.

I have also just given a number of old computers, phones, GPS devices, etc. to friends over the years. So - if everything is as he has described - I don't see anything suspicious about this. But, since you are good friends, if you want the computer you should make sure he's aware that the price is substantially below the market value.

15. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

Agree. Either he's trying to pawn an older model off on you or it's stolen.

16. Brammy macrumors 65816

Sometimes, people do nice things for friends. I've given away old hardware I'm not using, or offered it for sale for well under what it was worth to good friends.