I need Pages 09 back!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ministerman, Mar 6, 2015.

1. ministerman macrumors newbie

Okay, here's the deal. I had an office computer. I was told I would get a new computer, and to sell the current Macbook Pro. I had not updated to Yosemite yet. I also had never updated Pages because I had done so on my home Mac and HATED it.

So now, I have a macbook that has been wiped completely clean, and now runs Yosemite, and sadly, only could get the newest version of Pages on it. I still run Pages 09 on one other computer. I want to get it on my work computer.

I had originally purchased iWork's 09 from the App store too, so there's no disc.

Please, please, please - somebody help me!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Does it show up under the purchases tab of the app store?

3. ministerman thread starter macrumors newbie

The new pages app does, yes, but not the 09 one.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Then you're only option is to find an iWork disk on eBay. Sorry :(

5. ministerman thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay - so if i find an iWork disk on eBay/amazon - i can uninstall what I have now, and install it no problem? or is there some sort of work around I have to do?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I believe you can just rename the folder where Pages exist before you install the older version. Tbh, I don't use iWork any longer so I can't say for sure.

7. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

You are correct. However, if you have both versions installed, the system will always attempt to open an iWork file with the latest version (at least when I last had both installed).

FYI, you should be able to find an iWork 09 disc for approx. $10 USD from reputable sellers on eBay.

8. ministerman thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay - so I have my iWork 09 disc in hand that I bought off the internet. I have the newest version of pages installed that I no longer want to use.

Should I uninstall Pages/etc before i install the iWork disc?

I want to make sure this works!

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Since you'll never use the newer version sure. You can always reinstall it via the purchased tab in the MAS.

10. ministerman thread starter macrumors newbie

11. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

Select the app icon and press CMD+DELETE. You'll have to give name/pass in order to move to trash.

12. ministerman thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to let everyone know - it worked! I'm so thrilled to have Pages 09 back. The new one is just so ridiculously awful!

13. ministerman thread starter macrumors newbie

question - is there any way to update my Pages 09 to the newest version of Pages 09 without changing over to the latest version of Pages? There were several updates made on 09, and I'd love to have them too (although the original version of 09 is ten times better than the new one.)

14. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    If that new work computer doesn't have much on it, consider moving anything new you've put on it (files, folders, etc) off of it (so that it's back to being close to how it was when purchased new). Then hook up the old Mac that has the latest version of Pages 09 on it and try migration assistant. I suspect it will import that (latest version) of Pages 09 to the new Mac.

15. Bruno09, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015

Bruno09 macrumors 68020

16. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Actually, in Yosemite if you change the default application in the "Open In" dialog it sticks, even if it is an older app version. At least, that's how it was in the betas. I was pleasantly surpassed.

OP, if you still have Pages '09 on your home computer, drag the application from the application folder to a flash drive and then from the flash drive to the applications folder on your work Mac. On first launch it will create the necessary library files and preferences. That's how I installed it on other Macs.