I need reassurance on the Macbook...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mjmar, May 20, 2008.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Recently, I decided that i must switch to a Mac. After going to the Apple website and looking at all of the models nothing really jumped out at me. I wanted a notebook similar to the 15.4" Winsows one I have now. But, the Macbook Pro is way too expensive for the non graphics intensive things that i'll be doing on my new Mac. Therefore, I was led to the Macbook. It seemed fine for awhile, but then the small screen size started to bother me and I put off buying. I've read countless reviews for the Macbook and they almost all are very positive. I just want reassurance that I won't feel upset about buying a notebook that is 2" smaller than my current one. I should add that they both have the same screen resolution if this helps... Thank You.

2. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

From personal experience I haven't had an issue with the size of the MB screen. I got my wife one and she thinks it's the perfect size.

I just bought my mother the exact same MB model as my wife and she likes the screen size. I work on a Dell and the screen size is bigger than the MB but for me, (and I'm looking at both screens right now) it's not that bad.

Since the Macs are designed with multi-tasking mindset, you can never have to many windows on the screen and get lost, just shift them to different spaces (vista still lacks virtual desktops and xp has to have a power toy installed).

The size doesn't bother me for non-graphics things. Even using iMovie, Aperture, iPhoto, etc, the screen still isn't that bad.

However, that being said, I'd wait to see if a new one gets released next month at WWDC. Otherwise, if you want one now, get one now, if you can afford to wait then hold off to see if rumors of alum MB's comes true.

For me the screen is fine. It's small enough to not be annoyingly small, although my personal preference is bigger the better, the MB screen is a good size, and it's (for the 2 I have bought) beautiful looking.

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I'm going to wager that your current 15-inch Windows laptop has a resolution of 1280x800. That's a common thing to find. If you do get a MacBook it will be exactly the same resolution and I can assure you that the screen does not feel "cramped" or in any way limited. It's so bright and crisp that it's a pleasure to use all the time.

4. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

What is the resolution of your current laptop? A lot of 15.4" Windows laptops only have a 1280x800 screen, which is the same as the 13.3" MacBook.

Also, if you do find the resolution of the MacBook too low, you can always attach an external monitor for when you are not on-the-go.

Edit: I was one minute too slow. :(

5. Camui macrumors member

I think the difference would be very negligible for you, after using it for awhile.

You said they have the same resolution right?
    That means you'd have the same amount of workspace as you did on your current laptop but the pixels are slightly smaller.

Don't forget, you're always able to hook it up to an external monitor.
    Its max external display resolution is 1920 by 1200 pixels if you use the external either as your main display or as a second monitor to your laptop's screen.

A lot of my friends are very happy with their 13.3" screens. They also enjoy the better battery life it offers.

Have you tried visiting an Apple or Best Buy store to spend some time on one?
    If you haven't, I'd recommend doing that and performing the tasks you would normally use it for to see how it feels to you.
    That's the ultimate piece of advice. Test it for your needs so you can see how it compares to your current laptop in your mind.

6. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks everyone for the quick replies.:) I have one more question. If the resolution is the same, won't the things on the Macbooks screen be smaller than on my XP notebook? If so, is it too small to read long articles and such?

7. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I don't find it hard at all. Both the windows and MB have the ability to modify the font sizes, etc so put more on the screen at a size that's to your comfortable with.

I'm looking at mine right now and reading the atlanta journal and it's not bad at all.

But as someone suggested, if you can get to an Apple store, go, heck even take your current laptop and sit them side by side compare, and since they won't run you out, you can stay at one for an hour surfing, reading, playing and really give your eyes a run for the money.

If your cramped on cost, IMO you can't go wrong with the MB.

If you feel you really do need a MBP for the size, look at the refurbs see if the cost there is more in your range.

8. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

to answer your Q, 1280 x 800 is fine for a 13", I can quite easily use a 15" at 1680 x 1050 (its an Acer laptop) infact, I'd like something a bit higher, more Mbp region, but hey, I suppose high res isn't always good, especially for middle age and more general users.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

Don't forget about the Spaces and Exposé features of the OS! They really help me get the most out of the screen. Having used a 15" MBP for the last two years, I had no problems with the Air's 13" screen.

Spaces:
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/spaces.html

Expose:
    http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/#tutorial=expose

Three of the programs I run a lot take up most of the screen for themselves -- Aperture, VMWare Fusion (running Microsoft Vista), and Quicken. Instead of dealing with them hogging the screen and blocking my web browser, iTunes, etc, I put each of them in their own space.

I used the Expose (and hot corner) feature so that when I want to switch to another Space, I just move my mouse to the upper-right hand of the screen (when is set to show Spaces), and pick the Space I want to work in. Takes all of 1/2 a second to do.

Attached Files:

10. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    My BMB is simply the "best" computer I have ever owned in over 15 years of my computing experience, with 4 GB RAM this puppy is FAST, has a stunningly gorgeous 13" glossy screen, the only regret I have is I didn't switch years ago.:eek:

11. effer macrumors member

I own 2 MBP and 1 MB.

I could never get over the MB's restricted viewing angle. It is quite poor, and very noticeable to me. Other people don't seem to have this problem, or perhaps they don't have anything superior to compare it to. My MBP's have backlit LED screens with the matte finish. I could never live with anything less. The smaller screen/resolution of the MB should be fine. OS X is wonderful for multitasking on a single display. Also, the MB screen is very bright.

Before you buy, try some 3-6 inch head movement, up and down, in front of the MB. If it doesn't bother you, go for it!

12. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I've had my white 2.4 MB for a month and it is fantastic. Love the
    screen, it very fast and it is a joy to use. 13" screen is great.