I need scratch disk recommendations and tips.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by 66217, Aug 1, 2007.

1. 66217 Guest

After getting to use FCE better, I realized I would need a HUGE external drive. I have just made a 30 seconds film (of only still images and some titles) and it is already 659 MB.:eek:

I have a USB 2.0 external hard drive, but it does not seems the best choice for editing video. I'll try and find a good firewire external disk.

But I have some doubts.

- How does having a second scratch disk works? For example, if I have the external as primary and the MB HDD as second, would FCE have a copy of everything in both hard drives? Or would it even open if I don't have my external with me?

. How does having an external hard drive for photoshop and aperture helps you? Is it only for not getting your internal full, or does it also makes things faster?

If I have everything on my external disk, would it open in any Mac that has FCE or Photoshop installed?

Thanks a lot,

2. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

HUGE? http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=10351

You'll want any FW400 or FW800 drive. I prefer lacie. I recommend this one. Either 320 or 500GB would probably be fine. You'll want to store your media on the FW drive. Keep the FCE save files on you internal drive. Then if you don't have the external with you, you can still open the project. It should make things faster as it will be less fragmented, and I assume you've got a laptop w/ a 5200rpm so it will also be faster transfers as it's 7200rpm.

3. 66217 thread starter Guest

Now, THAT is HUUUGE.:D:eek:

What live-span do these hard drives have? Not the HUGE one, the ones you linked later.
    And do you know if they normally have these hard drives at Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.? I don't leave in the US, but I go frequently. It would be much easier to buy them in a store than ordering in the internet.

Thanks,:)