I need serious advice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Orangeman13, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Orangeman13 macrumors regular

Orangeman13

I have owned every iPhone except the 5s when I actually went with a note 4 because of the bigger screen. I have to admit the Samsung galaxy edge plus interest me a lot.....it is a sweet looking phone.

I am not an apple "fan boy" so I don't want my thread to become some rip session where we insult people.....

Having said that can someone help me or talk me off the ledge of why I shouldn't get the edge plus? I could literally drive to the mall right now from work and have one within 30 minutes.....I just don't know if I should trade my iPhone 6+ for a the edge plus......would I really not get software updates etc? What would be the disadvantages of getting that phone?

2. Decimotox macrumors 6502a

Well, the 5.7 inch screen is cool with the edge part, but eh. No more removable battery, nor an SD slot.

The OS lags behind iOS, imo. It's expensive, too. I'd stick with the iPhone, my dude. The 3D touch and better camera will be a great addition.

3. rwings01 macrumors regular

I agree with this post, I'm in the same dilemma but was really looking at the Note 5 as I just sold my Gold iPhone 6+ yesterday. I'm leaning more towards the IPhone 6s Plus after watching the Keynote again today.

4. Orangeman13 thread starter macrumors regular

Orangeman13

I just wish I knew (as I know we all do) that there was 2 GB of ram in the 6s.....I guess I will risk it and get the 6s and if I/we get burned by Apple then I get burned

5. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

If you're seriously actually tempted, nothing I could say could talk you down. Go buy what you prefer.

6. Orangeman13 thread starter macrumors regular

Orangeman13

well maybe it could. I am with AT&T and I keep hearing that maybe I won't get software updates on time....what impact would this have on my phone? would it make it lag because right now it seems to be very fast

7. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

In my case, I have the entire Apple ecosystem. Everything works better together when they're all Apple devices, that's number one. My photos, documents, music, and everything else syncs across Macs, iPads, iPods, iTunes, iCloud, iBooks, Apple ID and iPhones, not to mention Apple TV. It's hard to put a number value on that.

Number 2 is the iOS is very smooth and user oriented for better experience.. Android OS is all over the map because they have to support so many different devices, literally hundreds of devices from a multitude of manufacturers. I just think it's a mess over there, but that's just my opinion.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Indecision about things like this I don't understand. Sure, I can see you like specific elements of one device and specific elements of another device. But you are also buying the ecosystem and the service (or non-service, depending on which way you go).

It's almost like watching my wife try and figure out what shade of white paint she wants for the walls. But if you're asking to be 'talked off the ledge' than I suspect you have already made your choice you just want others to confirm the wisdom of that choice.

And in that regard, I'm sorry I cannot help. What's best for me may not be what's best for you.

9. Orangeman13 thread starter macrumors regular

Orangeman13

I know you guys are right....I'll just pre-order Saturday and hope for the best. deep down I know Apple is the more reliable phone....

My dad says it's the AK-47 of cell phones (he flies the F-22)

10. Bamp macrumors newbie

Bamp

I read somewhere, prolly here, that with the new chip, the 6s is the fastest phone alive, at least right now.;)

11. benzkid89 macrumors member

benzkid89

I haven't used the Edge plus but I am currently using the regular S6 edge and an iPhone 6. The biggest draw that I have is the curved screen of the edge and the build quality. Although for the price I find my money would be better invested in a Note 5. Also having Google Now is a welcome addition to my searches and how I interact with the phone.

I'm not tied to an ecosystem. However, if most of your purchases are in iTunes and that's where your photos, books, games, etc and whatnot are in it's easier to stay on iOS.

You will get updates however, it has to go through so many channels it can take awhile for updates to come to android phones. Right now my S6 Edge has Lollipop who knows when it will get Android M. Apple will give you updates day one to your phone so long as it's a recent iPhone.

If you are worried about updates the Moto Play X would be your best bet to get quickest updates besides owning a Nexus.

12. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I don't understand the "issue" of not getting software updates. Why would you not get them?

As to the chip speed. Yes, that is great, but only if you use it. Sort of like have a V-12 in your car. It is much faster, but the speed limit is still 70, and traffic is running at 50 - LOL!

As to 2gb of ram. Again, what is the issue? If everything runs fine on the 1gb, then....???

13. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

If you want some advice from a current S6 edge user my advise to you from my experience is

Amazing phone with amazing device but the lag when texting and random useage has put me off. Obviously not everybody experiences this but for me software has put me off.

14. flur macrumors 68000

I can confirm that this is a major problem with Android - the update goes from Google to the maker and from the maker to the carrier and they each make their own tweaks to it and what you get and when you get it will depend on how high the carrier and maker prioritize your phone. If you upgrade every year for the latest and greatest you might be fine. If you plan to keep your phone for two years, or you buy a phone that ships with an older version of android (or it releases with a "promise" to be upgraded), you almost definitely will get a raw deal at some point. Some of their fracking updates break things and they NEVER fix them.

This is one of the reasons I switched to the iphone. You get updates as soon as Apple makes them, and if something is broken, everyone roars and Apple fixes it. Not so with Android at all.

15. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

Not sure where you are from but in the UK even if you're unhappy with your new contract, you can return it. Or even better, if you buy from Apple you will have days to test drive if it works for you and you can easily return it for the Edge + straight away :)

16. AYNOM macrumors regular

Don't buy the Edge plus. No micro SD slot, that's enough to not buy it.

I'm personally moving from my Note 3 to the 6S+ now that Apple has finally caught up. (owned iPhone 3G/S, 4/S before getting my Note 3).

Just know you're making a charitable donation to Samsung buy purchasing an iPhone since they manufactured the processors this go around.

17. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

Software updates can take a long, long time on Android phones. Once Google releases an update, Samsung has to go over, reskin it with TouchWiz and make sure that most of the features still work as intended. After that, they pass it onto the individual carriers to install their software on top of that and make sure most of the stuff still works. They the. Roll out the updates in phases. AT&T only seems to allow users to check for software updates once every 24 hr period. If an update fails, you likely will have to wait another 24 hrs to try again.

If you don't mind this, then you can't go wrong with either phone.

18. redman042 macrumors 68020

My reasons:
    • The iPhone is the best built, best supported smartphone available.
    • It will always have the latest software updates and the most secure OS.
    • The edge to edge screen on the Samsung is neat / attractive but not functional enough to justify the awkwardness of using it.
    • The apps aren't as good or plentiful.
    • 3D Touch looks like it seriously rocks.

19. Aibocyrus macrumors 6502

Aibocyrus

So, I don't know if this helps, but it should tell you something. I work for AT&T and I do the back office work so I process all of our in store returns.
    I can tell you the majority of phones I see getting returned are the S6 edge and the S6 Edge +.
    Why so many of these devices returned over everything else?
    Like I said, not sure if this helps you at all, but sometimes getting new information we would have otherwise not had before, can help us in our decision making. =]

20. Benched08 macrumors regular

I traded my 6Plus for an Edge Plus two days after it launched because I got lulled into thinking the killer hardware specs would make up for any shortcomings in the software. Wrong. The hardware is mostly fantastic, but it's let down by TouchWiz and to some degree Android. There are system processes that you cannot disable and they butcher the standby time. Like 10-12% gets lost overnight. The battery life overall was much worse than I thought it'd be, worse than every iPhone I've had in the same usage scenario. But most importantly, it wasn't a delightful experience. Yes iOS gets stale, but the OS trails behind your finger, animations are blocky and jarring, and there's a total lack of polish in even the most basic third party apps. I got my 6Plus back in two days. Just ask what you're gaining by the switch, and I think you'll realize it isn't worth it.

21. brandct macrumors member

I didnt read much into this, but I know that I had been keeping iPhones for the life of the contract(2 years). Last year I decided that I was going to jump ship back to android and picked up an LG G3 and I have made it through 1 year with the phone and am ready to get back to my iPhone and will be purchasing a 6S or 6S+. The OS just is not where it needs to be for me. Since the lollipop upgrade I have went through 3 different phones from them running so hot that they burn the screen.

22. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

The S5 from last year isn't listed as getting Android Marshmallow. So think about that.