I need serious help from some teckkies

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by capriseyhaze, Mar 20, 2009.

1. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

Ok well im slapping a seagate 500gb sata 3.5" 7200 in my uni 17" mbp. Now im a newbie when it comes to hardware. I know how to put it in but i have no clue what to do after. So if someone could give me a step by step guied on what to do or place a link of were i could find it i would really appriciate it. Thank you p.s im going to do a clean install of the os

2. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

Are you going to install the OS from scratch or do you want to clone the drive you previously has in the machine?

3. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I install the new drive in a FW or USB enclosure and clone my existing install to the new drive using Superduper (there are other methods, I just prefer Superduper). Once the dup is complete, I test the copy by restarting and holding down Option and selecting the new drive to boot from my new copy. If all is well I shutdown and install the new drive in my system.

Cheers,

4. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Instal Leopard from the disc that came with your computer.

1. Turn your computer on and pop in the disc. You might have to hold down the option key while booting and select the Leopard disc from the ensuing menu.

2. After the OS installer has started there should be a menu item at the top of the screen called "Utilities". Click that and select "Disk Utility" from the submenu.

3. After Disk Utility opens, select your hard drive from the source list on the left. Click on the "Partition" tab. Set the "Volume Scheme" to "One Partition" from the drop down menu. Change the name to "Macintosh HD" or whatever you want. Change the format to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". Click on the "Options…" button near the bottom of the window and make sure the "GUID Partition Table" option is selected.

4. Click "Apply" and wait for your hard drive to finish formating. When it's done, quit Disk Utility and follow the on screen instruction to install the OS.

5. capriseyhaze thread starter macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

6. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

First thing I would do is take the drive back and get 2.5" drive that will actually fit.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If the OP already slapped it in, then we can be sure it fits.

That said, just insert the "Install DVD" and hold 'C' during boot. Following instructions and it should install. You don't need to do any partitioning with Disk Utility.

8. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

SUPERDUPER is the best and easiest way to do this !

works 100% ;)

i have done it several times.

fresh osX install does nothing better and with migration you also can get some problems ...

9. capriseyhaze thread starter macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

Hdd question

I just bought a seagate 500gb sata 3.5" 7200 will that fit in my unibody mbp 17 or do i need to get 2.5"

10. emt1 macrumors 65816

1. There was no reason to make a new thread for that question.
    2. No. You need a 2.5" drive for your MBP.

11. capriseyhaze thread starter macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

1. Get off my di$@

2. I didnt mean to write it in here i thought i was starting a new thread