I need setfile

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by andrew.bussman, Apr 8, 2010.

1. andrew.bussman macrumors newbie

I need the setfile utility but I don't have a copy of developer tools. Could anyone who has it be kind enough to upload it for me? Or email it to me at andrew.bussman@mac.com?

Thank you!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You can download the developer tools for free you know? They are pretty big. Go to developer.apple.com. If you don't have a developer account you can create a free one. Then log in to the Mac side and download "Xcode 3.2.2 and iPhone SDK 3.2".

Note that whilst the developer tools are free they are still copyrighted. Anyone uploading or emailing you setfile is technically infringing on Apple's copyright.

3. andrew.bussman thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah… I was hoping to avoid having to download the whole thing for just one file. I see your point about the copyright, though.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

A quick search does not indicate any downloads I'd trust. Searching for setfile on the Mac Developer Center gives the man page and says that it can be installed as part of the XCode tools so Apple don't provide a separate download :(

5. ridnhard19 macrumors member

Another way of getting the SetFile tool:

Download pacifist; insert your OS X Restore DVD that came with your computer and open the optional xcode packages pkg with pacifist. Search for SetFile, drag, drop done!

I used SetFile to remove my second hard drive icon on my MBP after i moved all user home directories (entire /User directory) to my non-ssd drive.

I didn't want two drive's on my desktop and did not want to install the whole developer tools for just SetFile. Then again, if I ever need to compile anything on here, I'll need it. But until then the space is mine!

Thought I would document my solution for other's who need the tool too.

:cool:

6. rolfen macrumors newbie

I found on my system using this trick:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20060731083729533