I Need Software to Display a Live-Feed of Video!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by eddieiseddie, Sep 14, 2008.

1. eddieiseddie macrumors member

eddieiseddie

I am looking for some Windows software that'll let me display a live feed of video from a projector. Unfortunately, my church doesn't have Macs, which they so desperately want after seeing mine:D:cool:
    anyway they currently use MediaShout to display scriptures, saved video, etc. onto the screens, but apparently it doesn't allow them to hook up a camcorder and show the pastor preaching in real time as it's happening. :(

So that's what I am looking for:
    Windows software that'll allow us to display a live feed:D

Thanks in advance:apple::D

2. -DH macrumors 65816

You should probably post this question in a Windows users forum.

-DH

3. eddieiseddie thread starter macrumors member

eddieiseddie

4. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I suggest you buy a switch. It's much faster (no lag). And a lot of less doing difficult. But I suppose you just google. (I once found something, but I have forgotten).

5. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

I think VLC may be able to handle this, though I haven't tried it myself.

See link

b.

6. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

You could search for "DV Preview" utilities.

Back when I was a Windows editor I used a utility called ScenalyzerLive, it was a Swiss Army Knife of DV-related capture/playback functions. I can't recall if it had a live preview capability, but it might be worth checking out.

I am 100% certain I had a little lightweight freeware utility that does just what you want, but I can't remember what it was called.

7. eddieiseddie thread starter macrumors member

eddieiseddie

What do u mean "a switch"? I doubt there's absolutely no lag but it would be nice to get as close to that as i can:D So what is this switch you speak of:confused:
    :cool:
    Thanks

8. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

switch

This is what i mean with a switch: http://dvcreators.net/products/mixers_v4.html. This one is a little bit expensive, but maybe you can find a cheaper one or just go for software.

9. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

Media Shout sucks, get EW, thats what we use, you can even use your live feed as a background for your songs or scripture

10. eddieiseddie thread starter macrumors member

eddieiseddie

woow:D thanks! that EW looks awesome:cool: ill totally look into that:)

11. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

EasyWorship is not a free solution (but then neither was MediaShout) but it does address far more than a simple free preview utility might.

Good luck!

12. teacee macrumors newbie

Re: I need software to display Live feed

I use Camtwist a free software and Justin.tv is all you need to feed live video no cost. There is also livevideo.com either of those will allow you to accomplish your goals. Hope that helps.
    Camtwist allows you to show your desk or camcorder, or movies from your dvd player.

13. teacee macrumors newbie

Re: I need software to dsiplay live feed

I just noticed you said for Windows, Camtwist is for Apple Only, if you are trying to feed live video over the internet then justin.tv and Livevideo.com will work fine.

14. forty31 macrumors newbie

I've used both

As a tech director at a church I've used both Media Shout and EW and neither one are a good solution for what you want. The lag through those programs will be a distraction for your congregation. Like someone else mentioned, your best bet is a switcher...check out www.fullcompass.com or www.bhphotovideo.com, they both have a good selection of reasonably priced switchers. Any software you use will have a pretty significant lag, even pro presenter 3 (mac only) has a lag and it handles live video better than any of the others.

15. eddieiseddie thread starter macrumors member

eddieiseddie

Well guys, I just found out that MediaShout actually does have a video feed feature that works when it detects a camera hooked up, and im excited to test it out tomorrow:D the problem is...

Will feeding video through Firewire be a visible significance than if we use USB 2.0:confused: And how much of a lag would u say i can expect? 2 seconds or more? Because more than 2 seconds can be pretty distracting and defeating the purpose:rolleyes:

I really appreciate the suggestions and tips on how to handle this situation:) Keep 'em coming yall!!

16. forty31 macrumors newbie

Firewire is better than usb 2.0. There are a few factors that will effect the delay...is it a wide shot or tight...will the subject be moving around or will they be stationary? A wide shot or a stationary subject shouldn't be that big of a problem, but there will still be a delay (less than 2 seconds, think of it like when you watch tv and the audio is out of sync with the picture). Media Shout handles this better than EW but not as good as Pro Presenter. If this is a one time or a once in a while thing then using media shout should be fine...however if you are wanting to do IMAG then you will want to invest in a switcher. Hope this helps!

17. ruasmith21 macrumors newbie

I'm curious...

eddieiseddie, what was your conclusion? I'm in the same boat and could use some persuading.