I need some advice for you people about Bootcamp!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vader1990, Mar 16, 2009.

1. vader1990 macrumors regular

Hi,

I've had the 15'' Unibody Macbook Pro for about 5 months now. I got it a week after it came out, and I instantly installed Vista 32-bit on it and I used it for bootcamp, and the same Partition for VMWare. I played Crysis and a little bit of Call of Duty 4. A month later, I deleted the partition and got 64-bit Vista Ultimate. Another month later, I put 32 bit back on. And finally I have XP on it, and I pretty much don't game at all...to tell you the truth I don't even use the VMWare program to access it because frankly OS X is freakin' sweet and does everything I need from it. I generally don't game at all these days, too involved in my college life. I also own an xbox 360, so yeah.....

Do you think I should just delete my bootcamp once and for all, and get my space back for HD movies? I can still put XP on VMWare so that's a non-issue...but even that I don't see the need for, but I might put it on, just in case, haha...

Is there any reason I should keep my bootcamp partition?

Thanks!!

2. NickM macrumors 6502

Here's my opinion:

If you have 4gb+ of RAM, and you don't care to play games under Windows anymore, delete the partition.
    At least downsize it to the bare minimum that you'd need.

If you have the RAM, you should be able to run Windows under Fusion just fine... if you want to, for whatever reason.

I recently got my first Mac, a MBPro, and I gave Windows about 60gb of my 320gb hard drive. I'm now rethinking it and might downsize it to about 30 or so... the only thing I use it for is IF I wanted to play a couple games if I'm ever on vacation or away from the house with my laptop.

Oh yeah, and I use Windows for Microsoft Visual Studio and some other developing stuff.
    I've never used Fusion or Parallels, but I'm gonna try them out soon.

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

If you don't need it, don't have it. I have 1/2 of my drive partitioned to windows because I need it for games. Thats pretty much it. I play games on weekends or when I'm bored. As much as I love OSX and I hate rebooting, I just can't stay away from the games. I'm not a console player either. I only have a PS2 and thats it... only really use it for DDR lol

4. vader1990 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply guys, but I have recently realized that I'm not a gamer at all...like even when I played Crysis or COD 4, I only played for like 20-30 minutes before I got bored. I generally play console games...

I might just get rid of it...

Thanks again, guys.

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

You can always back it up using Winclone (turns your Windows partition into a single file) and then burn it to a DVD or external hard drive, then when you want it back you can simply restore it and keep all your current software/settings etc :)

6. macDonalds macrumors 6502

You might fall into the "now I don't have it, I want it" syndrome. That happens to me at times. I don't want something, I get rid of it and later on decide that I still want it.

It sounds like you're pretty adamant about ditching it, so maybe you should. However, it's not hurting anything as it stands right now. If space is an issue you can always look into an external hard drive. Just a thought.

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Install a virtual machine of XP and keep it on your drive. Therefore, if you need windows or just brag I have windows on a mac, there you go.