I need some advice. MBP 13' now or January 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Forkaster, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Forkaster macrumors member

Hi,

I am a Software Engineering Student doing mostly research. I occasionally do development.

I currently have a first gen 15' MBP from 2006, which is slowly dying. If i plug in the battery it freezes.

I am currently considering buying a 13' MBP with 500GB HDD and a 19' LED external display.

I need the mobility since I sometimes need to show results to colleagues and teachers. I will use the external display because my eyesight is not that good.

I've considered the 15' without a display, but it's actually more expensive than the MBP 13 + display. And since I'm on a budget...

My only problem with the current MBP is the C2D. Even though it is a HUGE upgrade from my current CD (not C2D).

My biggest issue is not the fact that it is a C2D, its that it's a C2D priced the same as when it came out 6 or more months ago. So I am willing to wait until January 2011.

Do you guys think the wait will be worth it?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

We don't know, only that an update to the MBP line is very likely in the first quarter of 2011 (Jan to Mar), nothing is really known. It is just speculation, as Intel releases a new chipset for mobile computers, called Sandy Bridge, in Q1/2011.

Have you taken any look at all the other of dozens similar threads yet?

MROOGLE Is A Good Tool To Search These Fora For Already Existing Threads About Questions You Have. It Might Be Able To Answer You Quicker Than Waiting For An Answer.

3. Blues003 macrumors 6502

If you're willing to wait, then wait. Most likely you'll get an iX core as a CPU. ;)

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Actually, Cougar Point is the name of the new chipset. Sandy Bridge stands for new processor microarchitecture ;) :p

This ^ happens when I've been doing an assignment for 6 hours in a row. Now I need something that clears my mind

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Thanks. Cougar Point sounds so "cougarish", maybe even like "Badly Titled Cougar Town". I hope I remember it the next time.

What is the topic of your assignment? Cougars?