I need some advice on Boot Camp vs Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by WizardHunt, May 17, 2009.

1. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Hi Everyone,
    I want to use a windows based movie editing program and it needs all the resources it can get. I am thinking that Boot Camp might be my best bet as I heard Parallels shares resources and I may not get the full use of my processor and 4 GB of ram. I really want to use it to its full capacity that I can. I have not used Boot Camp but I do own Parallels 4.0 But every time I install it and want to remove it I get corrupted files. I hope Boot Camp is better. Any advice? Would Boot Camp allow me to use all of my 4 GB of Ram and my 3.06 Ghz processors? Please let me know all opinions.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yah, go with boot camp. You will use all of the machines resources to the fullest.

Bad part is though you need to re-boot and launch Windows and then you're stuck on Windows until you re-boot and load up OSX.

3. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

ok that is what I needed to know and the fact that I would have to reboot again to get into OS/X is ok with me. It would be worth it in order to use all of my iMac's resources. How much would anyone suggest the size of the partition be? I will be doing film editing, so I could use 100Gb for now and if I needed more I could always use a external drive? or should I configure more like 200-300 GB for the windows? I have a 1 TB HD on my iMac.

4. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Which is hardly a problem at all. Restarting takes all of 10 seconds. :rolleyes: And if nothing else you just hold down option when restarting to choose which OS to boot into.

But yeah, Boot Camp is your answer if you want to use your machine to the max. Plus you'll save $80 or however much that overpriced software is.

I use mine mostly for gaming, and give it 70 GB. That's usually enough for the OS, many random apps and several large games (5+) and still with room to spare. But hell, you have a 1TB drive, give it 500 GB if you're video editing, unless you need that extra space for OS X. And yes, you can always add an external in Windows if need be.

5. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Cool. Thanks for the advice.
    Now I am going to read up on how to install Boot Camp.

6. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

I installed Boot Camp and my video editing program is working flawlessly. Only small problem I have is the fact that I lose 7 hours for some reason on my date and time at the top of my iMac screen whenever I come out of windows and boot into the OS/X again. Why is that? Is there a fix for this?

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You can check this thread for one solution.

It is an issue between how Windows stores time v. how OSX references it

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Thank you. I did that and it works great now. :D