I need some advice RE: iPhones and traveling

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Alexandersaurus, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Alexandersaurus macrumors newbie

Alright, this is going to get a little bit involved, so to anyone who stick it out to the end of this post, I appreciate it :)

So I have recently started at a new job that A: requires a smartphone, and B: is moving me to the middle east for a year or two. There will also be a lot of traveling while I'm out there.

At first, I was excited for an excuse to get an iPhone that will compliment my iPad and macbook air. (woo hoo!) But now I'm going through that familiar process of trying to weigh out all of my options until I've convinced myself I've made the absolute best decision.

So firstly, I'm going to be leaving in a couple weeks, which is before the imminent release of the iPhone 5. Will it be possible to purchase one of them in the UAE? And this leads into my next question: for all of the traveling I'm going to be doing, and since I'll be away from home for so long, should I tie myself down to a carrier or buy just the phone? Can I get internet without a carrier? My plan has been to tether my other two devices to my phone's internet during times that I don't have access to wifi, what carrier can provide me internet around the world without charging an arm and a leg?

For calling and texting I feel perfectly comfortable using Skype or Google Voice, it really just build down to internet access. And just so I know what my options are, if I were to get an iPhone 4 and want to upgrade to the 5 later, will an apple store purchase it back or will I have to try my luck on ebay?

Thanks in advance to the helpful people of MacRumors!

2. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

30 day return window for the iPhone 4 and then you're on your own selling it.