I need some advice!!! (would iMac be good enough?)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dreambrother, Feb 18, 2006.

  1. dreambrother macrumors newbie

    Feb 18, 2006
    I am a returning college student looking to upgrade from my G3 powerbook which I got in 2000 when I first went to college. I basically need something for word processing, internet, DVDs, playing music, and some games. The biggest reason for the upgrade, however, is that I will also be getting into a lot of digital audio and recording with this new computer, using programs like MAX/MSP, Reason, Pro Tools, Ableton Live, etc. I want it to be the centerpiece of my sort of makeshift home/dorm studio. I've been looking at the new 20" dual-core imacs a lot, because I think the screen space would be amazing, plus the speeds should be more than fast enough for most of the programs I will be using (I think), the features are great, and the price is right. I've also heard a lot of news about glitches and problems, etc. because this is basically version 1.0 with the Intel processors. My questions are: Would this be enough computer for my needs? Should I wait a couple/few months until an imac upgrade occurs, potentially fixing some of those initial problems? As you might guess, I have only a basic understanding of computers at this point, and I really could use some advice from someone who knows their stuff. Thanks!
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    The Intel iMac would handle these apps easily once they're all converted to run natively on Intel machines. Would you be planning on buying new licences of these apps? If so, then maybe wait until all the essential ones are converted before taking the plunge, assuming you can wait. :cool:
  3. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

    Electro Funk

    Dec 8, 2005
    The Opium Garden
    i have reason 2.0 running much faster on my imac core duo under rosetta (2gig ram) than it runs natively on my pbg4 800 mhz;)
  4. dreambrother thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 18, 2006

    Thanks for the reply.......Any idea when the next imac upgrade might occur? And what sort of improvements might we find?
  5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040


    Mar 15, 2005
    Well, maybe we'll see one before September, for the back to school season. You never know though, perhaps it will take until the fall.

    If an update came sooner than later, you might see 2.0GHZ chip in the low end and 2.16 GHZ in the high end. Plus maybe slight graphic card update, etc. However, if it didn't come until late fall or so, I guess it would be possible they'd put the Merom chip in it.

    I think there would be a pretty good chance we'd see an update, with simply faster Yonah chips, before September, but remember Apple has a lot of other machines to focus on first.

Share This Page