I need some advice...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dealvarez, Nov 15, 2011.

1. dealvarez macrumors newbie

Hello,

I've been trying to figure out what I should do about my Macbook for a few months now. It's slowly been degrading further and further, and I'm not sure if I should keep struggling to bring it back to life or just give in and buy one of the new Pros....

I have an old 2007 Macbook.

Currently, I'm having issues with the backlight staying on properly. I've been relying on PRAM resets to keep it from dying completely all the time.

I'm also on Mac OS X 5.6, and I need OS X 7 (Lion) in order to use Sibelius 7 for my music classes, which a friend of mine just passed on to me. I've been trying to find ways to get it, but most sites require Snow Leopard to install Lion...so I'm not quite sure what I should do.

I'd rather not dish out another thousand bucks for a computer right now, but if there's no practical, simple way of updating mine, I'm willing to compromise.

Any advice on what I could do to improve my current Macbook?

Thanks,
    Daniel

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

How About A Re-Furb?

You are going to need a new one to run that music software, and refurbished stuff from Apple is said to be good....I haven't tried one myself, but have a new MBP 17" and a Macbook Air, the air might be worth considering too.

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

The dying backlight might be because of a shorted cable, you'd have to either take it apart yourself if you've got the skills, or take it somewhere and have someone take a look at it.

Sibelius will be a bit slow on your MacBook, but not unusable (though everyone's definition of unusable is different). If you're going to run Lion, you'll need to upgrade to 4 GB RAM, possibly 6 GB. Well, that is if you have the late 2007 MacBook. The mid-2007 MacBook maxes out at 3 GB, which may or may not be enough.

You can purchase Lion on a USB drive for $69 from your local Apple Store.