I need some advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kwong2006, Jun 2, 2007.

  1. kwong2006 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    #1
    I am thinking about buying a MacBook Pro (I currently have an iBook), and I have been reading about Penryn and how they are going to be better. Currently, I am planning to wait until Leopard comes out. Should I wait for Penryn as well, or should I buy when Leopard comes out?
     
  2. zioxide macrumors 603

    zioxide

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2006
    #2
    Personally I think you should wait until OS X 10.6 and the Sandy Bridge CPUs before you buy a new laptop. It seems so pointless to buy a laptop with 10.5 and a 45nm Penryn chip when you can wait and get 10.6 and a 32nm CPU.

    :rolleyes:
     
  3. Vidd macrumors 6502a

    Vidd

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2006
    #3
    Penryn is ages away, it shouldn't even really be part of the decision to wait or not yet.
     
  4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

    emptyCup

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2005
    #4
    Most are currently waiting for Santa Rosa so you are two waits ahead of current. If waiting until Leopard is no problem then see what things are like in October. However, at the point where Penryn becomes likely there will be something else behind that.
     
  5. Willis macrumors 68020

    Willis

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2006
    Location:
    What feels like the middle of nowhere
    #5
    if you wait for that, the next thing will be around the corner after it... and again and again... you'd spend your life waiting and not actually buying anything.

    I would wait for Penryn as its the next arch. and, it should be released/out by the time of Macworld, which is only a few months after Oct. anyway.

    End of the day, if your iBook can last out till then, wait... if its getting to the point when you need to change soon, then look at changing after WWDC.
     
  6. zub3qin macrumors 65816

    zub3qin

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2007
    #6
    angry much?
     
  7. zioxide macrumors 603

    zioxide

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2006
    #7
    Nah, i'm just trying to point out that waiting for something that is probably 8 months away is pointless. Technology is always evolving, and if you keep waiting for the next thing, you're just going to be waiting your whole life.

    I can understand waiting a month or two because something is due for an update, but waiting through two or three more updates to buy something just because some new technology is coming is pointless.

    Additionally, waiting for software is pointless because its easy to update and is not that expensive.

    Just wait until the SR machines come out and buy one. If you want Penryn later, it's the same socket as the Merom santa rosas, so you could just drop one in.
     
  8. zelmo macrumors 603

    zelmo

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2004
    Location:
    Mac since 7.5
    #8
    Hard to tell, but sarcastic for sure.;)

    It is always risky to buy right before an event like WWDC. If they update the MBP there or sooner, they're not likely to update again for 5-6 months. Either buy what is announced at WWDC or decide to wait three more months for 10.5. Of course, then you're halfway to the next update...:p

    As always, buy what you need when you need it, and stop the waiting madness or you'll drive yourself crazy.
     
  9. kwong2006 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    #9
    One of the primary reason for my wait is very simple: finances. I am almost there as far as saving up. Buying a 17" MBP w/ Final Cut Studio 2 is a very costly affair.

    I will have enough cash by Oct. (more than enough), so of course I am eaiting for Leopard. But what about Penryn? Forget about it then?
     
  10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #10
    To wait for something that is not scheduled to come out next is silly. Hell, I think waiting for SR is silly too, but that's just me. If what is out today suits your needs then why wait. Also, seems resale value of macs is so much better than any windows pc I've owned so I wouldn't wait for SR if you need it now. If you do not have the cash and you will in OCT then perhaps waiting around for SR is ok as it could be out or right around the corner. However, say it doesn't come out until March...then that's another what 5 months? Silly. To wait for the next chip is stupid to me. That's a personal opinion and not a cheap stab at you. It is however like saying that I will buy MS's next OS and skip Vista. I would be waiting for another 7 years. 1 year for them to talk about it, 5 to create it, 1 to work out the security flaws and bugs.
     
  11. kwong2006 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    #11
    OK, with the new SR processors, should I buy now, or should I still wait for Leopard?
     

Share This Page