I need some...ahem PC help please

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by unsung, Feb 20, 2010.

1. unsung macrumors newbie

Ok don't flame me, I bought a PC before I converted. Just wondering if I could get some help here.

It is a HP Windows 98 SE, and the hard drive is failing. The opening screenshot is a warning to backup my hard drive because failure is imminent. After starting up it runs a scandisk because it says it was not shut down properly, then it runs a surface scan and examines the drive clusters and locates the bad ones.

It gets to 53,334 examined out of 1,245,371 and stops. Some have been found to be bad and it wanted me to move the files to other clusters. It stops at 4% examined. How do I get this to continue or what else can I do? I tried to start in safe mode by holding F8 but it just creates a tone while I'm holding it down and does not progress.

I have some rare music on here that I really want to retain, most of it is Napster files back in the heyday. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

2. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

My suggestion would be to stop using the PC and instead buy one of those USB external hard drive enclosures. Take the hard drive out of the PC, put it into one of those enclosures, then plug it into your current computer and copy whatever files you can.

If the hard drive is indeed failing, then the added strain of booting up Windows, loading all those Windows system files, then the various scans that Windows wants to do, is surely not helping. By connecting it to another computer you are keeping the disk activity to a bare minimum.

3. davidoloan macrumors 6502

4. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I have a second vote for SpinRite. Yeah, it's not cheap at around $80, but if you really want to recover data, it is worth it. It doesn't work 100%, but I have seen it recover stuff no other software could get. It may take a while, though. I have personally seen it run 2-3 days, but I have heard stories of it taking longer.

5. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Is it coming up with a S.M.A.R.T warning? If it is spinrite will not be able to correct that.

Your better off getting a usb enclosure and getting the information off it.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Another vote for buying a cheap USB enclosure. You might be able to mount the drive still and get your data off.