I need some badass speakers?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jhood077, Aug 5, 2007.

1. jhood077 macrumors newbie

i need something that not going to blow no matter how high i put it and something that shakes.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

3. jhood077 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

Check out the Bose Companion series, you'll be pleasently suprised. :cool:.

Peace

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No speaker is indestructible.

The key is to get a set that is powerful and high quality enough that you can turn it up to, say, 4 or 5, and get all the sound you want. Typically at the top end of the volume control range, you get humungous amounts of distortion, which besides sounding bad, will damage the speakers faster than clean high volume will.

If your budget can stretch to it, look at the higher end Logitech 5.1 units that have digital optical input so you can run digital from your Mac to the speakers.

Unfortunately, at your budget, you can't get 1) accurate reproduction, 2) loud volume and 3) extended bass frequencies all at once. You might be able to get two out of the three.

7. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Seconded. I used them at a party with more than 100 people there on LOUD and they did just fine!! Not to mention they sound absolutely amazing!

8. Alloye macrumors 6502a

I've been through several 2.1 and 5.1 sets. None of them image worth a damn because they all run their subs way too high in order to compensate for puny main drivers that are incapable of reproducing mid-bass frequencies with any kind of authority.

Now I have a set of Audioengine A5s and am very pleased. They blast me right out of my chair at 1/2 volume and provide a fantastic stereo image. Plus they produce more bass than some systems I've tried with dedicated subs.

The only con of note is that the speakers are quite large compared to most iPod/computer systems. Some may also dislike the $350 price tag, but I think the sound quality is worth it.

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Seriously? You want presumably self-amped speakers that are incredibly loud with excellent bass and, I'd guess, decent fidelity for $250?

You can't even get a good self-amped subwoofer for that price.

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Perhaps THIS will satisfy you, along with a pair of cheap speakers.

While it may not be badass, it will probably do something for your ass.