I need some buying advice...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Captain Planet, Aug 29, 2009.

  1. Captain Planet macrumors 6502a

    Captain Planet

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #1
    So, I'm interested in buying a 13 inch MBP. I can tell you right off the bat that I won't be doing any having programming or stuff like that. I'll basically just use it to surf the web and do some work with Office and that kind of stuff, nothing too big. Perhaps watch the occational movie or whatever.

    So I was looking at the 2.53 GHz MPB... which would be $1,629 (CND) or something like that. Now, I'm trying to find one like that on the refurb section... which they don't appear too often. I saw one but it quickly got sold, I believe. I would of saved maybe 200 or 300 hundred on the price (without taxes). Also, I wouldn't necessarily need it right away... so I don't know if I should buy one now or wait a bit. Also, I would like to have Snow pre-installed on it... so I can of would have to wait a few weeks I imagine. What do you guys think/suggest?
     
  2. LedCop macrumors regular

    LedCop

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2008
    #2
    I'm not very sure about what in particular you are trying to get suggestions for...

    If you don't mind some DIY installation, perhaps consider the 2.26 MBP if it shows up in refurb? The price difference can pay for the a RAM upgrade to match the 2.53 and a hard disk upgrade that exceeds the 2.53 and you'll still have some left over.

    If you don't need it right away, you could wait to buy eventually improved machines down the line. Next big jump is 5-7 months away I think. Perhaps a bump in processor speed in the meantime.

    Snow Leopard shouldn't be an issue for your purchase. I *THINK* copies of Snow Leopard are included in the boxes of new computers but might not come pre-installed. Might want to ask an Apple Store or reseller that.
     
  3. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Captain Planet

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #3
    Well I didn't really need a suggestion... I was just curious of what others thought would be the best move. Either go with a new MBP or buy a refurbished one (and save money there) or wait who knows how long for the next updates for the MBP. As for Snow Leopard, if it comes with new computers, that's fine. I can do the installation myself. I just want to make sure I have it some way or another because I ordered a copie (one user only) of SL to upgrade my iMac which still operates with Tiger.
     

Share This Page