I Need Some Experienced Perspectives...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, Jun 1, 2007.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Ok a little background, I'm 23 and have been goin to communinty college for a long time now. Went for 2.5 yrs and got my associates in industrial tech. took a semester off and went back for Fine Arts for another 1.5 yrs. So now it's summer again. I don't plan on finishing my Fine Arts degree because I know I don't want to go into studio arts, but I do love the program that I was in. The past 1.5 yrs I'd say was the most I've concentrated on anything willingly (unlike the rest of my life in acadamia).

I told myself I would look for a transfer school early, but I really don't know what I want to go for still. I start looking then frustration sets in. I know I want to do something with design, and industrial/product design is on the top of my list. I guess I don't like the fact that I'll be set into one career for the rest of my life, it scares me. I guess that's why I've been kind of putting it off for so long.

Good thing I have loving parents that support me in any choice I make, but after 5 yrs of community college I feel pretty bad, for myself and my parents. I know it's common to change majors and careers but it feels like I've wasted so much time already.There's so many choices on what I want to do it feels like I could be going to college forever.

Product design is a top choice and I know career changes from that to graphic design is a good backup so I guess it's a "safer" choice compared to my many many other ambitions (architecture & music primarily). Due to the fact that I have little to no experience with those two, I'm basing my choice on what feels safe to me...?... You know what I mean? Should I feel this way?

These past semesters in Fine Arts I've learned a lot about myself and how much I can achieve and handle but at the same time I still doubt myself and my future. I guess I want to hear from some professionals and what you guys have done in your life. The changes and choices you have made to get to where you are now, and if you are happy.

Thanks for reading guys.

2. macmama macrumors regular

macmama

Ah, you raise some great questions, Sam.

First off, congrats to you for hanging in there at CC for a while. In my experience as a teacher, CC can be really sort of draining to students, because you're rarely there full time, almost always commute from home, and are often working at least part-time while also attending class. It's really not like having that immersion experience of "going to college" in the sense of, well... it's just not as much fun, or often, as emotionally satisfying. I've seen many of my former students go on to community college with the intention of transferring, but never making it, preferring instead to commit themselves fully to their job, or believing that it would be too much hassle to start over again.

So, that said, I think it's important to decide if you want to do a bachelor's degree in ________ (you can figure out what, later!). Do you have the resources to jump in full-time and get it done in as short a period as you can, since you're already "non-traditional college age"? Or perhaps time isn't a worry, and you can take it slowly.

As far as what you major in relating to your eventual career, I think it can go either way. I've seen your drawing and know you have a fantastic talent for it. Will an art degree help? Probably. Will you enjoy your course of study? Chances are good. Can you still pursue music on the side? Of course. Might you end up with a "day job" type situation in an unrelated field? Perhaps!

Don't worry about your entire working career just yet. You've got a long time to do that, and when the time comes, you'll take it in stride. If you decide that you want to completely change your focus later on in life, there's always grad school. :cool:

3. furious macrumors 65816

furious

The best advice ever given to me was get work experience. I have a degree in marketing I have never used or looked at since I got it. I am now hoping to do a economics and finance major. Why? because work experience in that field made me realise it was for me. Marketing was what everybody including my parents want me to do it is just not for me. To unforgiving. So get some work experience. ;) Not retail in the field you choose.

4. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Yea, it's felt like an extension to highschool. Not until I enter the FA's field I got to make friends and actually feel like I was a part of something. I'm really looking forward to finding a college and leaving home.

Time isn't a constraint but that fact that I've already spent so much time in one place I feel like I really need to get away and get started on my actual field of study.

Thanks for the input :D You're always so helpful.

Yea I've been tryin to, but so many places need experience with certain softwares and professional work experience that I don't have. I've been lookin for internships and anything I can get my hands on but no avail.

5. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

I agree with taking some time off to work in your situation.

May be you should see if there is an adviser in your college who could help you find a job or at least point you to the right direction.

As for the software experiences, you will have to learn that by yourself on your free time. I had to learn many programs just to get my first job. Unfortunately, most programs and skill that the industry use will not be taught in school even if you get another degree and you will run into the same problem again.

6. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

You're only fricking 23 years old!!!

Who cares if you've been in community college for 5 years?!? A lot of kids your age are in fricking prison.

People change majors all the time, even after 5 years. You're being way too hard on yourself.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed. Get a degree in whatever you want. You won't likely end up in the field you studied anyway, most people don't. You're young, enjoy it.

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Transfer to a full state college/uni and get a degree. Then you'll have more qualifications and be able to find a job.

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I majored in philosophy and history, and spent 5 years in college because I wasted the first year in a business management major.

I loved those majors. But will I get a job related to them? Probably not.

I'm now going to law school this fall. So what the hell? Pick something you think is fun, and postpone the "serious stuff" to grad school :D

10. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

True... but then there are my peers that have completed their BA and started living on their own. I'm still at home doin the same thing I've been doing since highschool. I think that's the part that's really killing me along with the many other things that aren't happening in my life, but that's totally my fault. But then again, there are a lot of my friends who are in the same boat... I guess I just don't want to be here anymore.

I guess... you have a good outlook.

Thanks for the replies guys I think I look at things more clearly when discussing it.

11. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Get a degree. Work experience is great until you're older and trying for those higher level, better paying positions. It's an unfortunate fact that some HR departments exclude a lot of talented people because they don't have the degree box checked off on their application and another guy does. This is especially true now that a lot of applications are submitted online.

12. jng macrumors 65816

jng

People are telling you to get a degree. But I would have to disagree with them.

From your original post, it sounds like you're tired of school and I think you just need a break. Just get some work experience (which for you would really be a break from academia).

Indeed, finding a job isn't easy. I think you ultimately wish to return and get a degree, where you work isn't necessarily über-important, that is - it does not necessarily have to be in your field. Just don't work at McDonald's. Work in retail maybe and work your way up to manager (doable in months at some places) which will help build your resume and give you all-around-good-to-have skills.

And if you're feeling good, work on that web stuff in your free time and maybe in a year, decide if a) you want to go back to school or b) work a bit as a web designer (no degree required).

I say just work and give yourself time to clear your head and figure out what you really want. And the job doesn't have to be perfect.

13. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Well I'm not really tired of school, just tired of going to community college. I am really looking forward to goin to a 4 year school away from home. Besides that, Yea I'm looking for a job now since I can't make the fall semester for schools. Although I really wanted to transfer for the fall, I've procrastinated on it so much, it's my fault and didn't make the deadline. So there's almost another year before I go back to school which is really depressing for me, although I don't have anyone to blame except myself. Hopefully I can find a decent job to make the time go by faster.

14. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

15. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

Oy, it seems like everyone is going to law school. There's going to be a serious surplus of lawyers soon.

Anyways, back to Sam's question. I went to a community college too and I know how you feel. I transferred without knowing what I'd major in. I eventually settled on Literature. After graduating, I still wasn't sure where I'd work. I taught for a year and decided to go to law school, where I am now. Now, will I be an attorney in 10 years? Maybe, but probably not.

My advice is to do whatever it is you want to do most right now. Don't think about what's safe. Living in an industrialized nation is quite an interesting thing. Most people in the world have very clear choices. The do what will put food on the table and keep a roof over their heads. No matter what choices you make, you will probably never have to worry about those two things. So why not do what you want to do? If you're anything like me, I had confidence in myself but with only 90% certainty in CC. It's a hit to your self-esteem to see others your age with degrees and "moving ahead" in life but it's an illusory benchmark. Don't let it affect you.

And one thing you have to be is diligent. Whatever you decide to do, make a timeline and stick to it. Keep working hard at everything you do, even if you hate it. If you choose to get a BA in fine arts in 3 years, don't try to change at the end of your second year. Finish everything you start. Use the next phase to fine tune your direction.

16. jng macrumors 65816

jng

It still sounds like you need a break from school in general. If you really wanted to go to a four year school, you would have made the deadline. I'm not blaming you, but I still have the sense that deep down you're not sure what you want to do, which is normal for twenty somethings. My cousin is in the same boat (hating CC). Community colleges can suck: long commutes, lack of community, etc.

But you have to also remember that 4 year schools, even public ones are EXPENSIVE. Since you seem unsure (to me), I would make sure you want to do it before you start and also figure out what you want to study.

I still think working will get you in the right direction.

17. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Just remember, you are never locked into a career for the rest of your life. On average, people are having to re-train for 3-5 careers in a lifetime so times are a chaning!!! I have had three separate careers so far- I started in business and worked in marketing for 8 years, went back to school to become certified to teach elementary school, then went back for my Masters Degree to be a school administrator. I have some nasty big student loans, but the payments are low and that is what those loans are for- to help me obtain my education for what I want. I went into business for the cash, but ended up in education which is what was really in my heart! (Some days I wish I still had the cash- like on June 29th!!!):D :apple:

So I guess I am trying to say, follow your heart as best as you can (hopefully it is a career that you can make a living at- at whatever level you desire) and go for it. If you make a mistake- it is just that- learn from the mistake and move on!

Good luck-

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

that part about the 4 year college will drain away and you will be ready to be done.

I went to a CC for 2 years and yeah I agree it felt like an extension of HS and in many ways worse because I am disconnected from my peers. Transferred to a University and I know by the end of year 2 out of 4 years I was ready to be done and just move on from college. I just finished my 4th year and have one semester left. I did enjoy it. One thing that sucks about transferring is the university are crap at getting you oriented and adjusted and transfer students are the one who need a lot of help making the adjustment because you will be either taking classes with people who been together for a while or going into a group of freshman who just are 2 young. I am 24 years old and honestly the college freshman annoy me and they have annoyed me for a few years now just because they act like HSer. It takes at least one semester for me to warm up to them and the 2nd year before I pay much attention to them.

19. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Well I went to CC for three years (first year and a half I didn't do so well with grades), then went to a university for three years. I got a double major, but it still took me 6 years for my undergrad. Then I worked for 6 years after college, then went to night and weekend college for two years. Then worked for 3 years. I took a few years off of work to raise my children and received my MEd. after two years of weekend college.

So back to the thread- I can see how you feel after quite a bit of CC- I am very happy with what I have done (except for the student loan part:eek: - but that is a part of life now.) I am finding (and so is my family)that I really need to be in a job I enjoy. If you don't enjoy your work then it not only affects your health, but it seems to transfer to your non-professional life in negative ways. So do what is in your heart (and make sure you can live the lifestyle you want to live (or be prepared to make sacrifices.) I certainly did make sacrifices- my wife and I rarely ate out while I was a sta at home Father for five years. We took out some additional student loans for living expenses while I got my MEd. as I was not working much at all and a full time stay at home father.

I gained quite a bit from my years in the business world- it has really helped me not only be an effective teacher, but school adminstrator as well so I don't regret the time spent. It is a part of life now to change careers often. Each year the stats keep increasing on number of people changing careers not only for personal reasons, but due to economic reasons as well due to professions changing considerably as the world in which we live in changes so fast!:eek:

Sorry for the messy/random thoughts- hope it reads ok- very busy today

20. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I guess I did want this extra time to really concentrate and be able to research and visit school, although I could've done that any time in the past year. The money part isn't too big of a concern although I do want it to be a good investment. Most of the school I'm looking at seems to be on the high end, then topped with living expenses. :rolleyes:

Yea, one thing that concerns me is how many credits I can get transfered. 4 years of CC is a lot of classes. I know what you mean about the freshman, especially at a community college. The studio classes aren't like that though since we were all working towards making good work. Gen Ed classes at CC are a different story.