I need some feedback...

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by rupie94, Sep 21, 2009.

1. rupie94 macrumors member

Hi there,
    I recently made some sites and I want to know what you think of it.
    They are both in Dutch, you can see that as lorem ipsum :)
    The first is a site for my schools online newspaper:
    http://www.devettevis.nl/
    The other is for a company:
    http://www.prosperas.nl/test

http://www.prosperas.nl/ was made by me too, but I hated the design so I offered the owner a redesign and that is the /test site.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

When I go to this site, I don't automatically think that this is for a newspaper. Why all the useless eye candy? If it's a news site, make it look like one.

I assume this isn't finished and that the items in the left column will be hyperlinks in the future? It looks OK besides the very large amount of space on the top of the page, but is very light on content.

3. rupie94 thread starter macrumors member

The first site is so full of eye candy because it's a site for teenagers.
    I probably got the wrong word. It's like the school newspaper made by the students.

And I agree with you that there is a little too much space on the top of the second site.

4. RonCarr macrumors regular

RonCarr

After looking at the sites I have a few notes for you to consider:

News Paper
    -I do not like the background. It has nothing to do with a school paper or news at all. Maybe you could work your school mascot or paper theme into the background instead of having a yard and fence.

-The photo scroller at the top is nice, however, I would put the title of the articles on the each photo or under it as it comes to the front.

-There needs to be more of a header/navigation section in my opinion. I do not like the name of the paper and the photo scroller set up the way they are now.

-As for the content section of the page, I don't really like how you have each thing separated on all of those different looking "pieces of paper" and on the other pages it is one "piece of paper." I like the one piece instead of the other.

-On the sub pages you need a better way of navigating all of the articles. Too much scrolling.

Company Site
    -As said before, way too much space at the top of the page. As small amount of content as there is I should not have to scroll to see it all.

- I think the navigation should stand out a little more from the content. There needs to be a vertical separator between the two. I wouldn't make it the entire length but a good portion of it anyway.

-Maybe for the navigation you could change the font, color, or size to make it stand out.

-The footer, well I hate it. I do not like the semitransparent box. It would probably look better without anything and just centering and changing the color of the font.

-A last note: go easy on the exclamation marks, especially on a business site.

5. rupie94 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your feedback. I can really do something with it! The text on the business site is not made by me though, but I will tell it to the 'contractor'