Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevey500

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
Alright, I'm making my schools new website and their old website has a large HTML calendar on the home page that they edit manually in FrontPage...

Well, I'm building the new site in RapidWeaver and I'm curious if anyone has information on where I could get a (preferably Free) Flash/CSS based calendar that can be edited within the website itself.

The calendar will contain updates about what's happening every day at school.

I've seen some very cool flash calendars around on the web but they cost a pretty penny. Like with 3d transitions and hovering "tool tip" event previews. And mini versions of the calendars too so they show on every page of the web site.

ANY help with this would be awesome.

thanks, i highly appreciate this,.

jng

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2007
Germany
why do you want a FLASH calendar? that's overkill.

just use a piece of blogging software with a calendar plugin or something. straightforward and less technology dependent.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
why do you want a FLASH calendar? that's overkill.

just use a piece of blogging software with a calendar plugin or something. straightforward and less technology dependent.

I agree, Flash is overkill. There's some good PHP/MySQL based calendar solutions that work really well. I've seen plenty of schools that try to add these fanciful things to their web site to make them look "cool," but just end up looking tacky. You also have to worry about making sure the calendar is accessible to those with disabilities, which is going to be a lot harder than a non-flash solution.

joshsage

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2007
dunno dude, but ya may wanna start on your old For Sale thread in the marketplace... and clear that up... just wanted to chime in and let ya know!
Josh

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
The school's server might not support php or MySQL, so flash might be the only option. I'm not sure if this would work but could you upload an iCal calendar instead?

jng

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2007
Germany
The school's server might not support php or MySQL, so flash might be the only option. I'm not sure if this would work but could you upload an iCal calendar instead?

That makes no sense. Flash itself cannot process data and still needs a way to store information be it in a text file or a database like mySQL. And as far as I know Flash files cannot write, they can merely pass data to other files/programs that can, like PHP files.

I'm not a flash developer, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

InLikeALion

macrumors 6502a
You asked this question 2 months ago and got pretty much the same responses - flash is probably not at all what you should be using. You have already been given the reasons: accessibility (to which you laughed about blind people), standards, and its not appropriate to your needs.

Flash for this would have a lot of waisted development hours. I second the suggestion to use a cms/blog system ala php/mysql that already has a calendar module developed. As school sites that are required to be updated constantly are naturally begging to be run on a content management system, I'd highly recommend you look into that arena.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.