I need some guidance with what to do with this video...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jonb09, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Jonb09 macrumors newbie

Jonb09

Basically i recoreded a project at college onto a VHS and then used a VHS/DVD player to record it onto a DVD. It worked fine but for some reason it added a menu to the beggining of the DVD therefore i cannot edit the video i created. :mad: Is there any good software for macs that i can use to make it back to just the video on its own without the stupid start up menu? :confused:

Help would be greatly appreciated!
    Jon

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Handbrake can extract it for you, and it's free.

3. Jonb09 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jonb09

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Some of those VHS/DVD units automatically add a basic menu to the completed project. I don't recall if there was ever a way to disable it, but it did do it by default.

Handbrake will get the video off of the disc for you, but then you will need an application like Toast to burn that movie to DVD again. Handbrake just creates a QuickTime/iTunes compatible movie file, that you can burn to a disc as data to use on other computers or special DVD players, but Toast can reconvert it on a DVD so it will work on regular DVD players. (Toast also has a feature to add a DVD menu, but you can change that). Toast isn't free, around $99 I believe, but is definitely a great application.