I need some help on installing DMG files and where to place them

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bobright, Dec 17, 2012.

1. bobright macrumors 601

So I downloaded an app from Softpedia and I installed it, but the thing is its annoying me because the app is on my desktop why is that? Also I dont see it in my applications or anywhere shouldnt it install there and not on my desktop?

Do I need to drag the DMG file somewhere and then install it from there? Its weird as I installed an app deleted the leftover file and now the apps totally gone. I think im going to just give Apple a call I am clueless on running this thing as expected coming over from windows ughh

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

1.Download the app’s .DMG file. Often times it will end up on your desktop.

2.Double-click the .DMG file to open it up. Another new icon with a name similar to the .DMG file will appear on your desktop.

3.If a new Finder window doesn’t automatically appear, double click on the new icon that has appeared on your desktop. A Finder window will appear.

4.Locate your application’s icon within this new Finder window. Drag and drop it into your “Applications” directory.

3. Ryan.Tanner macrumors regular

If you are new to OS X, I promise you, once you learn the install/uninstall process on OS X, you'll never want to use Windows Add/Remove Control Panel again.

4. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Ok for instance I installed transmission double clicked it after it downloaded...now I want to delete it as I dont want it there but dont want to delete the actual app. I want it to install in my applications folder or have it in my dock. How do I do this if it goes to my desktop?

I just deleted it by force quitting it, but now the app is deleted smh

How do I get the app into my dock or applications folder or whatever but not have a "disk image" icon on my dekstop?!

5. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

Right click on the DMG file on your desktop and click on "eject" or "move to trash". Then you can empty your trash. This will delete the DMG file but not the app.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you read the link I posted? It's very simple. After you've dragged the app from the opened DMG to your Applications folder, you can delete the DMG. The app will remain in your Applications folder.

7. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

I did read it but its still confusing. I deleted the DMG or disk icon file or whatevr but hadnt dragged and dropped to my applications so this is why it fully deleted?

Ok now I think I've done it right this time around though. When I double clicked the Transmission DMG file in my downloads and clicked Finder it showed the icon there. Now I dragged the icon into my applications folder and then dragged that icon into my dock is that how you do it? I then deleted the "disk icon" on my desktop and from my downloads and it appears the app is installed correctly. Is this the correct way to do it or am I making this too complicated?

Thx guys Ill get around eventually!!

8. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, that's correct. You only need to drag the icon to your Dock if you want it to always appear on the Dock, even when the app isn't running. If you don't need to see the Dock icon when it isn't running, skip that step. Then just open your Applications folder and launch it from there. This keeps your Dock from getting cluttered with apps that you don't frequently use.

10. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Right on one more question, is there an easier way to access my Aplications folder with maybe a gesture? Do people usually just make like a bookmark to the applications folder on the dock (not sure how this is done maybe drag and drop)?

I guess regardless it's not that hard to get to using Finder

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Usually people have an icon for the Applications folder on the Dock.

Restoring Folders to the Dock

12. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

GGJ you kill it on here with info so helpful appreciate it man:)

13. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

You could create a stack in the dock, use Spotlight, or you could use Better Touch Tool to set up a gesture.

14. seble macrumors 6502a

Could always access apps quickly via the launch pad :)

15. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

stride,

is there a Gesture to minimize a window or swipe between open windows without them being fullscreen? i'm assuming id need to assign something with BetterTouchtool?
    Yes, noticed that pretty nice