I need some help upgrading my MacBook Pro 13" 2009 laptop !!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by APguy1, Jun 10, 2014.

1. APguy1 macrumors newbie

Hi there fellas,

Well this is my first post and I'm relatively new to this side of computers. I've had this mac since 2009 and it is still running on its original MAC OSX:

2.26ghz intel core 2 duo
    Memory 2gb 1067 MHz DDR3
    159gb storage

I would like to make it very fast like a i7 computer and I want to increase the storage and ram. What is my best options ?

Thanks very much for your help :) be nice to the newbie :D

Cheers,

Olly

2. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Unfortunately you cannot upgrade the CPU to i7 so you are stuck with the C2D.

You can upgrade the RAM and also install an SSD, that will give you a performance boost and inject new life into your Mac.

Barney

3. APguy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Could change the logic board to a better one or more recent ?

4. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Quick point of clarification - the CPU is soldered to the logic board, so there is no upgrading to even a faster processor from the same family (Core2 Duo or Quad). The logic board cannot be changed either - only to one from the same vintage as your current system.

Second the other recommendations. If you're OK with the current amount of storage you have, a 256 GB SSD can be had pretty cheaply. Same for an 8 GB RAM upgrade. You could be out the door with a machine that runs like new for less than $200.

5. leman macrumors 604

My advice — sell it and buy a used/refurb 2013 MacBook Air. Will probably cost you only few hundred $ over buying new RAM/SSD and you will get a significantly faster machine which is also much lighter and has a greatly improved battery life ;)

6. APguy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

It is very tempting. It is only worth around £300-£400 and a new"er" machine is about twice that. Im not sure.. Im considering taking out a loan and buying the top of the line Macbook Pro 15" i7 as i cant afford it ATM. Also is there likely going to be a newer version of the MacBook Pro soon ? The reason i cant a fast machine is i am an engineer and i use a lot of CNC/ CAD/CAM software. Also i edit photos in my spare time. The laptop i have ATM is 95% full of pictures.

Cheers,

7. bennynova macrumors member

Barney's advice is all you need

8gb ram and 256 or 512 gb SSD will make your computer zippy fast, and like new

it will be PERFECT for CAD as it requires RAM and high hard drive speed
    save your money for another year.

or sell your upgraded computer for even more