I need some help with my computer name...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Andrew Henry, May 15, 2009.

1. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

So here's the deal, I got a new Mac Pro (new to me ;) ) and I used a time machine backup from my Macbook Pro, and everything is great, it's exactly like my MBP all the apps and setting etc. But the one problem is, at the login screen it says "users Macbook Pro" and the computer name is "users Macbook Pro".

Obviously it's not a MBP and I would like it to say "Andrew's Mac Pro" or whatever ya know? So is there a way to change it so that it does?

Also are there normally any reasons why you should NOT do a Time Machine install from one type of Apple computer to another (ex: Macbook Pro > Mac Pro) ?

I thank you all for your time!

Andrew

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You can change the computer name in System Preferences->Sharing

3. waffles123 macrumors regular

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I wouldn't recommend it - your Time Machine backup from the MacBook Pro is configured for a MacBook Pro. Meaning all hardware, like a built-in iSight, battery and power settings, integrated Bluetooth and Airport, integrated video, etc. that the Mac Pro either doesn't have or has a slightly different version of it. There's no guarantee it would work.

5. Andrew Henry thread starter macrumors 6502a

Everything works fine, I changed all those things that you've mentioned back to defaults for the Mac Pro, so far I've had zero problems, except the naming part!