i need some help with terminal commands...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pmsquillace, Aug 16, 2010.

1. pmsquillace macrumors newbie

My macbook 2006 recently would not boot properly. By that i mean it takes about a good 5 minutes to boot to a messed up looking desktop.

Before i restore the system i need to get some files off of the machine. (The gui side freezes when i try to drag and drop).

I can boot into single use mode and use terminal but i do not know how to do the command mv /documents...etc but i don't know what drive my usb stick is or that it is mounted.

Can someone offer some gvuidence on this?

Thanks

Paul on vacation and stuck......

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The mount command will list what's mounted where. Look for something starting with /dev that's not on /. On my system with nothing beyond the main harddrive I see this:

/dev/disk0s2 on / (hfs, local, journaled)
    devfs on /dev (devfs, local, nobrowse)
    map -hosts on /net (autofs, nosuid, automounted, nobrowse)
    map auto_home on /home (autofs, automounted, nobrowse)

Or cd to /Volumes and to an ls. Most likely your USB drive will be mounted there.

3. pmsquillace thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks ronnie, when i cd to Volumes and do ls, it only lists Mac HD as a volume. Does that mean its not mounted?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Probably unless single user mode has some quirks I am not aware of. What is the output of the mount command?

5. pmsquillace thread starter macrumors newbie

When i type mount... it says root_device on / (hsf, local, read-only, journaled)
    debts on/ dev (debts, local, nobrowse)

Also, if u could tell me the command on how to get to a directory with a space in it.

I cd to volumes but cannot get to a directory called MAC HD.

The space in that is giving me grief.

I was able to get where i need to via my username. I just need figure out what drive this usb is...

Any thoughts from what i pasted above?

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

From the above (that I don't think was pasted as debts should be devfs) your USB stick is not mounted.

7. wjlafrance macrumors 6502

To find out the directory you're currently in, type pwd. To get into a directory with a space, you need to "escape" the space with a forward slash, the escape character. cd Macintosh\ HD.