Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicdic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Hi, I'm a Music Technology student in my last year and for my final project I'm trying to create a MIDI controller app to tell a digital audio workstation to stop, play, record, etc. over wifi. I'm not really a programmer and am having some real problems having just upgraded Xcode to Xcode 4. I had almost no errors in my build before, but now I've got lots and I'm not really sure how to address them.

None of my lecturers are iOS, Xcode or C literate, so would really value any input and help as I'm approaching my deadline in the next couple of months and have hit what feels like a brick wall.

If anyone is happy to give me a hand I can email the project for you to have a look over.

Thanks.

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
Or you could post some errors, and we could try helping, most of us, have other projects too >.< so doing a full project fix is for most of us not really an option, but i'd be glad to help on some errors :)

nickculbertson

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2010
Nashville, TN
nicdic,

Implementing MIDI controls into an app is very, very difficult. There aren't very many sample codes you will find and if you do please share them :) . I'm not trying to take air out of your balloon but perhaps a music app that plays as an instrument or acts as a mobile studio would be a better route to take. just my two cents.

Nick

nicdic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
nicdic,

Implementing MIDI controls into an app is very, very difficult. There aren't very many sample codes you will find and if you do please share them :) . I'm not trying to take air out of your balloon but perhaps a music app that plays as an instrument or acts as a mobile studio would be a better route to take. just my two cents.

Nick

Oh really, rubbish. It's a bit late too go back, so I'll just have to give it my best shot. I'd tried to use the DSMI stuff which is really for note creation, but I thought I'd probably be able to adapt it to send system exclusive messages.

nicdic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Just thought I'd say I've got it working. Got an app that works via WiFi to send MIDI messages to tell a DAW to play, stop, rewind, fast forward and record.

Had to use CoreMIDI in the end. There isn't much info about on it, but there's a really good example from Pete Goodliffe on his blog that was really helpful for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.