I need some help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 335d, Apr 20, 2012.

  1. 335d macrumors newbie

    Apr 20, 2012
    My Macbook pro was water damaged. The most important stuff is obviously on the HDD. I need to remove it and extract the data (mostly documents and pictures) onto either my iMac or PC.
    What cables/adapters would I need to connect the HHD to my iMac or PC once I have extracted it?

    FYI - The Pro is a 2011 i7 / 500gb HDD.

    I thank you in advance for any help!
  2. simsaladimbamba

    Nov 28, 2010
    Any USB enclosure for 2.5" S-ATA HDDs will do fine, they cost as low as 10 €.
    You could also get any S-ATA Dock like these.

    HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)
  3. miles01110 macrumors Core


    Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    You need a SATA to USB adapter with power. If you buy an external enclosure that should work pretty well.
  4. 335d thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 20, 2012
    Thanks guys. Heading to a local Maplin store to get a USB enclosure this afternoon!
  5. user418 macrumors 6502a


    Aug 22, 2010
    USB is good. An enclosure with FireWire 400/800 connections would allow for faster data transfer.

Share This Page