I need some help

Atticusracer182

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
So I'm kind of in a bind.

Last night my hard drive had 182.63GB of memory. Today I woke up and was listening to music and checking my email. I was editing something, opened the finder window and saw that I now had only 16.4GB of memory left! I freaked out and had no idea of how or why that had happened. I went to Disk Utility and used Disk Repair already. I called Apple and asked if they could direct in any direction to fix this and recover my lost memory if there is a way. Which the consultant said there was. I didn't buy the AppleCare so I'm kind of bind as you see. So if anyone as any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

* I also have an Apple 500 GB Time Capsule if that helps with this process.

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
So I'm in kind of a bind.

Last night my hard drive had 182.63GB of memory. Today I woke up and was listening to music and checking my email. I was editing something, opened the finder window and saw that I now had only 16.4GB of memory left! I freaked out and had no idea of how or why that had happened. I went to Disk Utility and used Disk Repair already. I called Apple and asked if they could direct in any direction to fix this and recover my lost memory if there is a way. Which the consultant said there was. I didn't buy the AppleCare so I'm kind of bind as you see. So if anyone as any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

* I also have an Apple 500 GB Time Capsule if that helps with this process.
I think you are confusing memory and hard disk space.

viggen61

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
New Jersey
How many apps did you have running? WHAT were you editing? Video and sometimes Photoshop can hog memory.

How much RAM does your Mac have? Macs page out to the hard disk when you want to run more things than you have available RAM for. Some applications are better than others at managing that. Sometimes, it just consumes all available space on your HD.

Mine does this every once in a while. I shut everything down, and reboot the Mac, and all is well.

:apple::apple:

Atticusracer182

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Yeah, that is what I meant. I'm just kind of frustrated of how and why this happened. I don't have too much on my Macbook Pro. 8Gb of music, 3 Gb of photos 1 Gb of videos. Its not a lot, so that is where I am confused.

Atticusracer182

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
I have 2 gigs of RAM. Not anything out of the ordinary. I've kept everything basic on my mac. Everything up to date. I've had to re-install it once because I guess the iPhones software was bad on my first one. But besides that, its runs perfect. I've never had any problems with it. Just all of a sudden all of that space is gone.