I need some ideas for creating some weather icons....

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by ezekielrage_99, May 9, 2007.

1. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Well it's just as the thread says, I need some ideas for creating some weather icons.

Basically I have to create some weather type icons for a web site, I will created the icons myself however I am completely out of ideas. I have to create weather icons for the following sub headings of the web site:
    - Severe Weather Warnings
    - Heat Alerts
    - Cold Alerts
    - Wind Alerts
    - Temperature Alerts
    - Lightning Warnings

I am just looking for some examples or icon web sites (it doen't have to be weather related) as muse for styles/colours/etc that I'll be able to use.

2. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

I would check out places like iStockphoto for inspiration & or a cheap solution, here are a few I found by searching "weather" and then limiting it to illustrations only.

3. ezekielrage_99 thread starter macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Thanks, I've been looking at Corbis, iStock and a few other image sites on the web, there is good stuff on there but it's limited for what I need it for.

I don't mind number 6 I might use that as a muse and tweek it a little, change it to box with rounded corners and a grey gradient fill, holpefully it will work

4. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

Glad to help - when using iStock try to limit your search to illustrations only, the links provided where just on page one and there are 1700+ matches that could be used for inspiration.

5. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

Severe Weather Warnings > cloud with exclamation mark in it
    Heat Alerts > Sun with exclamation mark in it
    Cold Alerts > Snowflake with exclamation mark in it

6. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Bad idea.. at first sight, all of these icons look the same to me. Its much better if you can identify icons by their shape.

7. ezekielrage_99 thread starter macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Yeah I found looking at most icons over the last few days certain elements of weather icon designs are repeated. That's why I posted the thread I thought I might be able to get some more ideas on the subject.

I was only really using the online image sites for ideas rather than using the images for the project, most weren't suitable for the content or context of the project.

I am now even thinking of creating the icons in flash and cmaking them into very short animations because I think that could also work well.

Thank you again for all your feedback. :apple: