I need some insight on purchasing a new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bohnje, Sep 13, 2011.

1. bohnje macrumors newbie

I am currently a university student studying computer science and am looking to get a MacBookPro, I currently am using a lower end Sony vaio. Based on the buyers guide page I would wait considering it says there are only a couple weeks left on the cycle. I realize that is very likely not the case and looking at the past cycles it is probably around 300 days from the last refresh which would mean 100ish more days. But if they are going to refresh in 100 days what could they really change, ivy bridge won't be out yet right? I guess they could get rid of the disk drive and male SSD the standard. I'm not sure what to do cause it would be helpful for school and I kinda just want it, but If it refreshes soon with the expected redesign I'm going to feel kinda burned. Any thoughts or opinions. Just an FYI my current computer gets the job done, it's not like ill be losing marks if I don't upgrade

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

I'm going to give you advice that I wish I had followed many times in my life.

If what you currently have works for you, don't change anything!

Even if they update the MBP this year it will be a very minor change if any. If you don't NEED it urgently, don't get it.

3. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Then why even consider it?

4. bohnje thread starter macrumors newbie

Like I said it will get the job done but it's not a great computer, multi tasking usually causes some lag and I want a more powerful computer for games ( I know that's not exactly the macs forte). Also with some of my classes running osx would be a lot easier because I need a compiler that is only on osx and Linux. My last point is that I really want to have lion over win7, not that win7 isn't great but I'm just ready for something different

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I'm sure you will like it if you buy it now, it's not like your warranty stops when the new model is released you still get you year, the "next" model might always have a newer cooler feature but than you will always be waiting and never buy

6. bigjobby macrumors 65816

I know you've got the urge for a Mac and stuff but can't you just do a dual-boot with Linux for now? Some of the distros out there are quite tasty.

7. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

That would be the understatement of the all time...Canonical has done more for consumer Linux than they are recognized for. Fedora has made Geek linux nice! The folks from Linux Mint have Linux beautiful in all desktops...

Linux is finally coming into it's own and let me be the first to say THANK YOU!

8. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Tell me about it. The wobbly windows and Beryl was enough to entice my son to switch over to Linux. And just to be different (which isn't a bad thing), he rarely uses Windows on his unit anymore. :)

9. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

That's all you have to admit. No need to rationalize your wants and desires with pragmatism. That never works anyway. :D

It's just plain ok to want a macbook. No shame in that. I'm the most rational, conservative guy you'll find but was so happy when my Lenovo died so I could part with $1200. Go figure. :)

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

haha yup i was looking for things wrong with my dell just to spend 1800 myself sometimes you have to spoil your self

11. mountains macrumors regular

My best guess is that this refresh means we'll see an i7 2640qm (2.8/3.5 GHz) in the 13", both i7 2760qm (2.4/3.5 GHz) and i7 2860qm (2.5/3.6 GHz) in the 15", and i7 2860qm in the 17". The i7 2960qm probably won't be making it into a Macbook any time soon.

I'm only speculating, though.

12. thunng8 macrumors 6502a

No, the updated CPUs are:

i5-2415M - 2.3/2.9Ghz -> i5-2435M - 2.4/3.0Ghz (Entry level 13")
    i7-2620M - 2.7/3.4Ghz -> i7-2640M - 2.8/3.5Ghz (High end 13")
    i7-2635QM - 2.0/2.9Ghz -> i7-2675QM - 2.2/3.1Ghz (Entry 15")
    i7-2720QM - 2.2/3.3Ghz -> i7-2760QM - 2.4/3.5ghz (High end 15" and 17")
    i7-2820QM- 2.3/3.4Ghz -> i7-2860QM - 2.5/3.6Ghz (CTO for 15" and 17")

2960XM won't make it since it is a 55W processor and is too hot (and expensive), just like the 2920XM didn't make it.

The list above is if Apple chooses to change to the new CPUs. Last year, Intel updated a lot of Arrandale CPUs and Apple only chose to include 1 extra high end CPU as a CTO, the 2.8Ghz i7

13. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

If you wait for a refresh you might wait a long time.
    They won't refresh it right before Ivy Bridge show up which means they either do something small and make it sound big now or they wait until they can release Ivy Bridge Notebooks and this might take a while. IB is said to be delayed and after launch by Intel it still takes 1-2 Months before they have enough chips to release a new MBP.
    The biggest difference is probably a cooler MBP but there won't be a speed difference like it is between 2010 and 2011 Notebooks. Intel SRT might show but Optibay SSD will still perform better. USB 3.0 will be really useful though as thunderbolt is rather useless still and this won't change soon since those controllers aren't cheap.