I need some MBP buying guidance...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Osprey, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Osprey macrumors 6502

OK, here's the deal. I have a SR MBP 2.4 and I am interested in purchasing a MBP for my husband. He has been using mine and I know how much he would really love one with Logic 8 Express to do some recording and music creating. He would probably also be using it for video work as well. But I am wondering if I should just buy it now or wait until January? Don't yell! I know that most people are expecting an update in January, but I am wondering if it would really make a difference to him. If there is an update in January, do you think that there would be anything that is going to make a real difference? Compared to any computer I have owned, my MBP seems to be faster except for the slow response time in loading websites. If they place new chips in the MBP in January will this add to the heat concerns? I want to get him a fast, reliable machine that he will enjoy for quite awhile and I know he will appreciate the ease of use. So what would be a compelling reason for waiting to buy him one. I realize there is no definitive answer, but advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

I think it's really a question of how much he needs the computer. Sounds like he doesnt need it right away, I would wait till january. the upgrade will be significant, intel is making pretty big steps with processors these days. penryn seems to be really good. especially if your husband is using editing programs which have high RAM and processor demand, they will definitely run noticeably better on the upgrade. that being said, they will run fine on current mbp's as well. again, does he really need the computer? Does he have a lot of free time to do some editing coming up before jan/feb? have you considered asking him about it, or is it more of a surprise? I wish someone would surprise me like that... :)

3. Osprey thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, it really do want it to be a surprise and I want him to have something really special. In all honesty he probably won't have much down time until early June. I was thinking about Christmas, but our anniversary is in February. However, I had to wait over six weeks this summer for mine to arrive so I doubt I would have it for our anniversary. I waited for the update this summer to get one because I really want LED screen as much for environmental reasons as any. I guess I will give it a a couple of weeks before I make up my mind for sure. Isn't any one concerned that the price might go up with the new Peryn chips? It seems like the macbooks just recently showed an increase in price (I may be wrong) and Apple seems to be cutting back on their education discount. It isn't like they are having any financial problems and sales seem to be increasing all the time.:D

4. vm7118 macrumors regular

i think people put too much effort into waiting and timing their purchases. i think the conference is at the end of january, and that's most likely when penryn based MBP's would be announced. they won't ship for a couple weeks after that, and you won't get them from shanghai for a couple weeks after that. that could mean no new MBP until early march, and that's if there is a january update at all. which there very well may not be. the MBP was updated in june, and one year between updates isn't unheard of.

then again, i could be totally wrong and they could have new macbooks in the stores and shipping from US factories on Jan 1st :p

bottom line is, nobody on here knows when new hardware will be available. i bought a MBP in early october (didn't even wait for leopard but ended up getting the $10 installation dvd), and i couldn't be happier. this little baby will last me for years.

5. Osprey thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess the problem is that I tend to agree with you. I just can't see what could possible happen between now and January that will make the MBP so much better. If I were buying for me i wouldn't matter as much to me, but I really want him to have something special and I really would like to have it for either Christmas or our anniversary. I really like mine and having moved from Windows, I am still amazed at how quickly it responds. I haven't installed Leopard because I am so afraid of messing something up, but will give it a go after I finish some projects that I need to get done. ;)

6. vm7118 macrumors regular

if i were you, i would buy it on black friday. apple has been known to give slight (but not insignificant) discounts, in addition to the standard education/corporate/ADC discount.

as for what could happen between now and january... it could be any number of things, really. better graphics card, macbook style keyboard, user removable/replaceable hdd, penryn cpus, bluray optical drive, a 13" MBP, MBPs with solid state flash memory hard disk drives... who knows. but this holds true for any interval in the computer world. there are always new features on the horizon.

so i reiterate; if i were you, i would buy on black friday. but don't shoot me if something new comes out january :p just be happy with the machine your purchased, which will in no way be outdated.