I need some opinions on getting the 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stylez4o1, Jul 22, 2009.

1. stylez4o1 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, what's up? Hope you guys can help me decide here. Okay, my girlfriend and I just switched from sprint to get the Iphone today. She got the 3g and I wanted the 3GS, unfortunately they said I had to wait 3-5 days for it. I was fine with that but 2 workers at AT&T plus a customer recommend that I should just get the 3G. They said it wasn't worth it, and to just save the $100. So I ended up getting the 3G and thought I'd just upgrade within 30 days if I do change my mind(money isn't an issue BTW).

I've been wanting this thing for so long, and I'm glad I got it. My question is, should I just get the 3gs? I'm loving the 3g, and I know the 3gs has better speed, slightly better battery life, and of course 3.0 camera(mac mode,auto focus) with video. I think I could go w/o it but is it really worth it? I can't make my mind up, I don't want to regret it later on.:confused:

What do you guys think? I also wonder why the employees didn't recommend the 3GS, is there something i'm missing or were they just being honest?

Also does the 3g have auto focus or macro mode?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'm waiting until June, but I'm also a fan of contracts...My 3G does everything I need it to.

3. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Amazing, I don't hear any AT&T employees nor customers in my area saying those kinds of stuff. And since this will be your first iPhone, I strongly suggest getting a 3GS - it's a lot faster (noticeably) compared to 3G. Besides it's the newest generation of iPhone released :D

4. xanadeath macrumors 6502

xanadeath

It was stupid of them to tell you to get the 3G... they are obviously all morons. The speed difference is noticeable all around, and it makes a huge difference in how easy the phone is to use. The 3G cannot take video... it cannot auto-focus... and its really really slow compared to the 3GS. I upgraded from a 3G to a 3GS and hands down you should have gotten a 3GS right off the bat especially since the 3G is already outdated. The only reason someone would get a 3G is if they really only wanted to use their iPhone just as a phone... if you are going to use apps and games and anything else the S makes all the difference. Good luck.

5. jman240 macrumors 6502a

3GS all the way as long as you get the subsidized price.

Read this
    http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3579

Having owned both the 3G and 3GS i see a huge difference using the 3GS especially in loading times and almost zero lag switching between apps and tasks. Man, you went in and could have gotten the V8 but you took the 6 instead, just no comparison.

To answer your questions, no, the 3G camera does not have macro or auto focus or low light capabilities.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yeah, just "the 2X as fast" is a great selling point. Wait 'til you get the 3GS in your hands; in fact go down to the nearest Apple Store and give it a shot and bring your GF's 3G to compare it side by side....:cool::cool::cool:

7. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

If money is no object, it's difficult to imagine any reason not to pay the extra $100 for the 3GS - and even more difficult to imagine why anyone would suggest the contrary.

The extra speed, the better camera, video capability, magnetometer etc all make the 3GS a standout choice when you are talking about tying yourself to a phone for 2 years of contract (or realistically, 18 months before qualifying for an upgrade). It's not as if the 3G gives you any lower monthly costs (as an original 2G would) and it's not as if the 3G would be able to take advantage of any apps developed to take advantage of the magnetometer or video capabilities - to name but two features that had been much demanded prior to the 3GS launch.

If it were me, I would return the 3G and get a 3GS without question. And if anyone in the store suggested otherwise, I'd consider it likely just because they have 3G handsets they think they won't be able to sell once they get sufficient stock of 3GS iPhones to meet demand.

8. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

a lot of people ignore that you can get 32gb opposed to 16 which was the selling point for me

9. Bacong macrumors 68020

Bacong

It's a better phone for sure but I wish people would stop talking about the 3G like it's a piece of garbage; some of us still use our 3G phones and love them. It's an amazing phone.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For a hundred bucks more, you're getting a better camera, video capability, faster processor, voice control. Its really up to you whether you think buying last years technology vs. this years technology is worth a 100 bucks more.

Many of us who already owned the 3G thought it was worth spending the money, in fact att charged us more to upgrade then new customers and we all felt it was worth it. Personally only you can determine if its a worth the jump since its your money.

11. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

Some of us still use 2G iPhones and love them too!

12. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Definitely worth it at the intro price. I will be upgrading mine in about 2 months. :D