I need some quick advice on apple exchange and restocking fees

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KBS756, Mar 9, 2010.

1. KBS756 macrumors 6502a

A month ago stupidly i applied for the barclays financing card.Well todays my 30th day and last day to get same as cash 12 month financing. I was wondering if I buy one today and exchange it 14 days down the line would i pay the difference or would the card get returned payment and recharged (first one would save me on no interest 2nd way would lose my no interest) Also has anyone succeeded in avoiding the restocking fee on an apple return or exchange, because i was hoping to gamble and sell my current 17 inch while i have the new one if i could possibly avoid the restocking fee. Any advice really quick would be much appreciated I have like an hr to decide thanks.

2. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

buy one, and just dont open it for two tuesdays. THen no restocking fee. Or open it, and pay the restocking, which you deserve to then honestly.

My opinion, just wait. Financing on 2k$ over a year is peanuts. Not worth the hassle.

3. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

The restocking fee can be waved and someone in the Arrandale forum mentioned a 30 day return policy if a new computer is released, don't know too much about that though. I DO know that my sister had the restocking fee waved when she first bought her macbook and the mbp came out. (that's when the macbook and mbp looked the exact same.)

4. WHM macrumors regular

I HAVE HAD THE RESTOCKING FEE WAVED SEVERAL TIMES!! I just picked up the 2.66 GHz mid MacBook Pro tonight at my local Apple store and have no regrets. My theory is this... the release will happen in the next 2 weeks and if so I will exchange for the new refresh. After 2 weeks my thinking is they are having a problem with the new chips and if so I prefer not to buy the first of the new "refreshed" or the newer laptops and will wait until the next round. This laptop is sweet and much better than my February 2008 pre unibody MacBook Pro.... I AM HAPPY

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you're talking about an Apple Retail store, it's all in how whoever helps you rings it up.

They can do it as a two separate transactions -- a refund transaction, followed by a sales transaction .. two receipts. This would likely negate out your no-interest financing.

Or they can do it as one transaction, where they refund your original computer, and then ring up your new computer (on the same receipt). If there's a negative total due, they'll refund the difference. If there's a positive total due, you'll pay the difference. Either way, the only "new charge" is the difference in prices (if any). This shouldn't effect your no-interest financing, as it'll simply look like an additional charge you made on the account.

6. KBS756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the advice so far .... I sorta panicked and picked up a 17 inch for now. Gonna try to sit on it for 2 weeks but already regretting it because im very tempted to open it. The receipt states a 229 dollar restocking fee if opened ...

Has anyone succeeded in escaping the restocking fee when just returning. (assuming I cave open it and then when no update comes out return it cancel my card wait a month and reapply) ... rather not blow 200 bucks like that

thanks again for the advice so far

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

Managers at Apple Retail Stores have the ability to waive the restock fee, but who knows precisely what the manager you'd get would do?

Some folks have success, some don't.

8. wschutz macrumors 6502

Or... buy one... open it... play with it... enjoy it... and keep it... ;)

But if you really want to make sure you don't pay any restocking fee... get it at any place in the EU (online of course) :D No restocking fee, blame our european laws :p

9. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

Most states have laws regarding restocking fees. In some states there may be a limit or it may be illegal for any amount to be charged to you. Contact your Department of Consumer Affairs and find out what the laws are on restocking. Also some states also have laws stating that policies regarding restocking fees must be posted within eye shot of the shoppers.

10. Aboo macrumors 6502a

But instead of the 10% restock fee, you will end up playing 17+% of VAT :p

11. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

Unless it's for business, then you pay 0% VAT ;) But don't you also have your sales tax, depending on state, granted it's not 17.5% but with the pricing of Apple products I believe they're fairly even?

12. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Avg. sales tax is about 6%. Fortunately, I live in 1 of the 5 states with no sales tax! :D

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

14. Aboo macrumors 6502a