I need some serious help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gokuu, May 13, 2007.

1. gokuu macrumors member

Well I have shot some video, and now I have edit it and its on its final stage. I want to give it the FILM look. But I cant seem to figure this out. Im using Final cut Express HD.

What do I do for the best FILM look?

Please help me out...

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

What do you mean by FILM? Simple iMovie will give it an aged/ cracked effect.

3. gokuu thread starter macrumors member

By FILM, I mean taking away the home video look from my video....Im not sure if im explaining this correctly

4. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

Well, unless you recorded it in 24p (like the DVX-100), that "film look" everyone talks about so much won't happen.

See, video, and that's what we're talking about here, there is no digital film (except maybe the RED cam) is recorded in a 30 frame format that is made up of two interleaved fields. Even lines and odd lines. Every frame has these two fields to it- commonly mistakenly referred to as interlacing.

Interlacing is the "other" frames when working with 24 frame footage on a 30 frame source, such as a video tape. To get the 24 frames onto a 30 frame tape some frames are invented and interlaced into the playback in one of two ways: Standard interlacing involves creating a "C" frame out two fields, one from "B" and one from "D", and that can never recover a true progressive 24 frames. That's why Panasonic developed the Advanced interlacing for their DVX-100 cameras. This method lays the frames in a 2:3:3:2 pattern instead of the 2:3:2:3 pattern used in the Standard method.

See the attachment:

So when people are talking about the "film look" it isn't an effect, it's a method of recording and maintaining 24 progressive frames throughout a workflow. Whether it's in SDV or HDV, some cameras use the Advanced interlacing method (2:3:3:2) to record 24 progressive frames onto a 60i video tape.

Okay, there are some "effects" for film look- but they are not "THE film look." ;) :D

5. gokuu thread starter macrumors member

Well the program that I am using is Final cut Express HD....
    And the camera that I have is the Sony HDR-FX1.....

I would like to get close to accomplish this effect as possible...

As I so thank you for your input.....man that attachment blew my mind, because its like chinese to me...

Amateur here....as if you didnt know this by now...Sorry I should have mentioned this before

6. gokuu thread starter macrumors member

So i know that I shot my video at 30F. So there is no way that I can make this look a bit less home video look? I got the info on my video...here a pic i took of the info.. if im reading this correctly its at 30 f,...well the 29.97 it says

Attached Files:

7. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

What I was saying is the "home video" look is caused by recording in a 30 frame per second, interleaved (even lines, then odd lines) instead of a 24 frame per second progressive (even lines and odd lines together) format.

Film look formats include 480-30p, 480-24p, 720-30p, 720-24p, 1080-30p, 1080-24p.

This is an example of interleaved fields. What causes the home video look.
    If you see these lines in FCE then your picture is in 60i format.

In which case you will need a "film look for video" filter.

8. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

It looks like you shot in the 1080i mode.

Try the Nattress filters for "video to film look"

9. gokuu thread starter macrumors member

I will so try that, Im sorry that my terminology is not the greatest for this, since I am starting out. But I do greatly appreciate the help. I will try this....and let you know

10. gokuu thread starter macrumors member

Will this work with my mac...these are my specs for my machine...

And am using FINAL CUT EXPRESS HD

11. gokuu thread starter macrumors member

here are my specs

Attached Files:

12. slinky0390 macrumors regular

i read this on a different forum. export your project as a contained quicktime movie, start a new sequence, add the movie to v1, copy it to v2, click on v2 and add the filter, deinterlace and set it to upper. click on v2, add deinterlace, set it to lower. set the opacity of v2 to 50. it should smooth things out, but idk if its what youre looking for