I need tagline help. Grammar?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ktbubster, Jul 19, 2009.

?

Which one do you like or is most correct?

1. What You Do Best. Even Better.

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. What You Do Best, Even Better.

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. What You Do Best - Even Better.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. What You Do Best; Even Better.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Hey all. I am working on a Business consulting website and identity and there has been a bit of argument over the correct way to punctuate the tagline.

Keep in mind im not looking for opinions on the tagline itself, more just grammar or what seems the best. As grammatically I know a few of these aren't right, but they seem to illustrate the point wel for the tagline.

It's supposed to be What you do best.... even better. Basically a long pause since it's what you do best. Better.... if that makes anysense without inflection :)

What You Do Best. Even Better.
    What You Do Best, Even Better.
    What You Do Best - Even Better.
    What You Do Best; Even Better.

Which one do you think? It was original the period, but then there was question about it not being correct because it's one thought, but while it is one thought, I want to accentuate the Pause.

Help?

2. miiles macrumors regular

I think it should be "What You Do-- Even Better." but honestly, I have no idea. :D

3. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

I'm sure you're not allowed to change the wording. If you are, it should be What you do best, but even better.

If you can't, couldn't you just use the "..." to enunciate the pause?

4. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

We take what you do best and make it better. I know you didn't want to revise it, but at least with this, you don't have to worry about punctuation and the people that will use your service thinking that the way you have it, is wrong. I mean, you're asking a pretty knowledgeable board what they think it is, and I'm sure you'll get varying ideas. Why deal with that confusion? Ya know.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

I'm in agreement with this. Since the tagline is not grammatically correct in itself, there isn't a "proper" way to punctuate it. However, since it probably sounds better as it is, I think that the period would be the best in terms of pause length. An ellipses would also work.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you want to keep the same wording, I'd go with what was said above: What You Do Best ... Even Better.

7. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Use the period of the ellipses. Anything else looks wrong.