I need the macforum team's help with these account charges!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Steveo47, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Steveo47 macrumors regular

A bit of a long story but I'll make it short.

So I used to have a bb storm. I have the same plan as I did on my blackberry on my iPhone. With my bb I was never charged for texts when in the USA. So I go on vacation to California and I txt my girlfriend in Florida (who lives in canada in the same area code as me). I was charged 9.90 for some txts (charges appeared the next day).

So I txt my girlfriend who is back in Canada for about 4 days and my account is not charged. Today I was charged for ALL my txt messages today ($260.80). I called telus and was told to call back when my bill come through to "see what they can do". My question is what should I say as I obviously don't want to pay 260 dollars when I was unaware I was being charged. If the data usage chart on the telus website was updated probably wouldn't I have gotten my charges daily? Not all at once the charges becomes huge? Any advice?

2. Steveo47 thread starter macrumors regular

In addition when they "see what we can do" will they actually do anything

3. draz macrumors 6502a

Were you using BBM before? I believe BBM has always been free as it doesn't use standard text messaging doesn't matter where you go. (but I could be wrong as I don't use BB)

If you were just using standard text messages, when was the last time you went to the US? I know Telus and all the other carriers have done a number of changes in the last few years with regards to US charges. So maybe at some point it was included but no longer.

Carriers always change their roaming options so you should always keep checking their website for the latest roaming info.

Also charges from US Carriers can take sometime, but usually it is right away so maybe call back tomorrow and speak to someone else to make sure. I guess it could depend on who you are roaming on.... I know AT&T is usually pretty quick with getting their charges to Rogers.

But if you complain you may be able to get a reduction... But you should always check their website before heading out to make sure as roaming rates always change...

4. Steveo47 thread starter macrumors regular

Hah draz you always answer my posts. No I never used bbm believe it or not. I used my bb about 4 months ago an did not have to pay anything. Yes I'm using AT&T. It took 4 days for it to update my charges.. And my previous phone was free. So when I can when my bill comes in could I use that as leverage? I've heard of carriers making you pay but the money you pay is credited to your account. Is my case valid enough for that?

5. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i believe BBM uses your minutes or data ( i dont remember which) for being connected to it and when you send a message it uses a text message. I used to have a BB and thats what ATT told me. Hope this helps in some way.

6. Steveo47 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank but I never used bbm on my bb lol

7. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

lol, sorry, i thought i read BBM on there somewhere, my bad:eek:

EDIT: i would say something like you checked your account and there were no charges but they appeared when you got home. Just be honest with them and they will do something for you. If they give you a hard time tell them your a loyal customer and if your plan ends soon tell then you are thinking of switching (phone companies hate that lol).

8. draz macrumors 6502a

Telus would put the blame on you for not checking to see what the rates are before roaming.

But if you push hard enough you could get something out of it, maybe a reduction... If you say that 4 months ago was never charged they could investigate and see what happened and maybe end up charging you, so that could be a plus or minus. But it depends on what they do.

I personally would fight for a small discount but not expect a full one.

But I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't give you anything at all and just put the blame on you for not checking their site before roaming....

I tend to fight with Rogers whenever my parents head out to Niagara Falls or other places close to the border and pick up AT&T's signals... Rogers ends up waiving the fee 100% of the time but I really don't like doing it as it can end up costing almost $100 in additional fees....(They like to use their unlimited canada wide family talk option A LOT) But if their phones pick up AT&T's signals while they are on the Canadian side then it really isn't their problem.... But I do love that I can pick up Rogers signals on the US side (kinda off topic sorry!)

Fight and see what they can do for you... Just don't be surprised if they don't give in and point you back to the "terms can change at any time without notice" thing... :(

9. Steveo47 thread starter macrumors regular

Well the lady I talked to seemed nice and understanding and said "she left notes on the account". I basically told her what I said above. I've been with telus for about 2 years. If I argue in sure I can have something done.