i need three thunderbolt ports, will a hub work?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chombiekay, Jun 19, 2014.

1. chombiekay macrumors member

Hi! Thanks for reading this.

I am a first time poster and apologize if this is a common question.

I just received the newest MBP for work, but it only has two thunderbolt ports. We need three (2 for two external monitors using DVI to thunderbolt, 1 for hardwire ethernet). We saw a few options on amazon but aren't sure if they would work or if there was a separate solution to do this. I would assume HDMI would come into the picture but we would like to avoid using that if we can.

Much appreciated.

Example link to product below:

http://www.amazon.com/Thunderbolt-E...id=1403187299&sr=8-1&keywords=thunderbolt+hub

2. chrfr macrumors 603

There's no reason to avoid an HDMI to DVI adapter. That should work fine and will be significantly less expensive as long as you don't really need the other ports on the dock.

3. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

that'll work. but FYI, its not a hub since TB is of daisy chain technology and there's no such thing as a hub.

4. tmagman macrumors 6502

I have same setup as you. I use the belkin dock and it works fantastic. One monitor directly into a TB port, and then the belkin dock in the other one, with the monitor and network plugged into the dock (as well as all my other peripherals)

5. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

6. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

The dock solution will definitely work, and give you additional ports that might cut down on cable clutter when unplugging (eg if you use USB keyboard/mouse/printer etc). You must still use the 2nd Thunderbolt port on the Mac for the second display; there's no way to get two displays to work off one Thunderbolt port unless you're using a native Thunderbolt Display - so it won't get you to a single-cord solution.

If you just need Ethernet and nothing further, and at least one of your displays is 1920x1200 or lower resolution, you can switch one of the displays from a Thunderbolt-DVI adapter to HDMI-DVI and use the HDMI built into the rMBP - that will work perfectly well. This may be what you were referring to above, it wasn't clear to me if you we're talking about this option or using an HDMI port on the Dock.

7. chombiekay thread starter macrumors member

thank you. your answers were all really great.