I need to be honest about 5S battery life

Slash?

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2014
It's awful, there is no other way of putting it.

Running 3G with what I would consider normal daily work usage? 3 days.

Running 4G with the same usage?

2 days.

2 DAYS!

Before you need to charge it again!

I wish they would stop making thinner phones and use the extra space for a bigger battery.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Just plug your phone in at night while you sleep. I rarely hit 18 hours before my battery dies.

Enabledobject

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2014
You call two to three days of usage "awful"?
You must be joking.

And here I thought 5-6 hours was bad.

theyooper

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2012
3 days is GREAT for a smartphone. You probably didnt have a smartphone before you had your 5S. Its common to charge your phone daily.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
This must be a troll thread as no one would consider 2 days before a charge bad battery life.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I couldn't get 2-3 days from not using my phone and only getting notifications. Maybe if I turned it off.

TantalizedMind

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2007
This must be a troll thread as no one would consider 2 days before a charge bad battery life.
I don't think he is a troll. I think he must be new to smartphones. My father doesn't want a phone that lasts less than a week. Not even joking. His LG flip phone used to last him 7 days!! Obviously it was on standby most of the time with short phone calls here and there.

His flip phone is about 5 years old and I had to find him a new battery for it on eBay. Even though the battery is "new" and never been used obviously the battery is somewhat aged from shelf life. His new battery only lasts him about 4-5 days. And he isn't happy about that. LOL!

My iPhone 4 lasts me about 6-7 hrs usually but I am always on it.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
No idea if OP is being serious or not, but iphone battery life is bad at best. Apple is certainly doing whatever they can to optimize power use. Battery tech just has lagged behind.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
It's awful, there is no other way of putting it.

Running 3G with what I would consider normal daily work usage? 3 days.

Running 4G with the same usage?

2 days.

2 DAYS!

Before you need to charge it again!

I wish they would stop making thinner phones and use the extra space for a bigger battery.

ObviousTroll is quite obvious.

----------

His LG flip phone used to last him 7 days!! Obviously it was on standby most of the time with short phone calls here and there.
That's the key here. His flip phone was just a phone.

If an iPhone didn't have a bright, hi resolution screen, video and game capabilities, and background processes like location, push mail, notifications etc then yeah, it would last for days and days too.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Blimey, I get four hours usage with 3G and only six with 2G. Three days would be awesome, I charge my phone twice a day!

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
What I have to be honest about is…my irritation at two post wonders who come in, drop a bomb like this which causes tons of additional posts and the OP never responds or is heard from again.

If you're going to post stupid inflammatory threads have the decency to show back up and be pummeled for your idiocy!

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
I charge overnight, and every moment I am in the car, and still my battery is nearly dead by 8pm. I agree, make the phone a bit thicker and put in a real battery.

jeremysteele

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2011
Sad that people automatically goto "Troll!!!" whenever someone disses an Apple product on these forums.

coming from a razr maxx (original) I call 2 days bad. I could easily go a week on that puppy between charges, without breaking a sweat. It's one thing I really miss. It's nice when you go on roadtrips, camping, etc, and forget to bring a charger. With an iPhone it is "you better bring a charger or you are SoL".

Old flip phones could also go a week or two without a charge, and still have plenty of juice. My friends/relatives who are finally moving to smartphones are absolutely disgusted at the battery life on these devices.

I am sick of the "small light phone" fetish going on these days. Add some extra battery. an extra oz of extra weight and 1mm of thickness isn't going to break your dang hand - and if it does - you really need to get out and exercise... and this is coming from someone with terrible carpel tunnel.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
He has got to be kidding, i wish i could get two days of use from my 5s. I recharge every night and often have to plug in during the day to top up.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Sad that people automatically goto "Troll!!!" whenever someone disses an Apple product on these forums.

coming from a razr maxx (original) I call 2 days bad. I could easily go a week on that puppy between charges, without breaking a sweat. It's one thing I really miss. It's nice when you go on roadtrips, camping, etc, and forget to bring a charger. With an iPhone it is "you better bring a charger or you are SoL".

Old flip phones could also go a week or two without a charge, and still have plenty of juice. My friends/relatives who are finally moving to smartphones are absolutely disgusted at the battery life on these devices.

I am sick of the "small light phone" fetish going on these days. Add some extra battery. an extra oz of extra weight and 1mm of thickness isn't going to break your dang hand - and if it does - you really need to get out and exercise... and this is coming from someone with terrible carpel tunnel.
If you want a thick and heavy device so you can have 3 day battery life in the woods with no electricity why dont you just buy one of those battery cases and leave us who want a thin sleek and sexy device, alone:^)?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
If by the time you leave home, and comeback in the evening, and your iPhone has charge, your lucky!!!!

When we got smartphones, the (s) dropped of days.

If your trolling, well played Sir!!!

EM2013

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2013
What I have to be honest about is…my irritation at two post wonders who come in, drop a bomb like this which causes tons of additional posts and the OP never responds or is heard from again.

If you're going to post stupid inflammatory threads have the decency to show back up and be pummeled for your idiocy!
I agree. It's obvious he's trolling.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
If you want a thick and heavy device so you can have 3 day battery life in the woods with no electricity why dont you just buy one of those battery cases and leave us who want a thin sleek and sexy device, alone:^)?
Or just buy a Nokia 3310. ;)

Stupid long battery and indestructible. !!! Damn that was a legendary phone!!!