I need to choose a new phone

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMacZealot, Mar 20, 2008.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

My family does an insane amount of international travel. At least one person has been living overseas everyday for over six months now, so we need to stay in touch. We've tried all of the astronomically-priced solutions from the big four carriers, and AT&T is on average the best of them, which is what we have, but we now want to try United Mobile of Liechtenstein.

Since they don't sell phones and all of our AT&T phones are either iPhones or technologically insufficient, we need to buy one/some unlocked phone(s). We can also use it/them as spare phone(s), too.

Our only requirements are for it to be at least triband GSM (900/1800/1900), UMTS 2100, and able to last several years.

Any suggestions?

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

http://wirelessimports.com/Store/Home.aspx

But honestly, AT&T for international? Why not T-mo? Their international rates are like a dollar less per minute than AT&T ($0.99 instead of $1.99, last I checked).

3. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

They're both $0.99 in Europe, but in many places, especially where we travel, AT&T is cheaper, and sometimes significantly.

However, United Mobile is cheaper than all of them. In Europe outgoing calls are $.49 and incoming is free (!!).

4. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

I can't help you at all, but that's the first time outside of a high school econ course that I've heard of that country. I want to go visit it and Monaco one day...

5. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

What about a Blackberry 8800 World Edition That should work Correct me if im wrong.

6. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

You mean the Verizon one? That's dual GSM/CDMA, and we've done that combination before. It's really a hassle, and those phones are attempts by CDMA carriers to keep them on there and not know that there are better and cheaper alternatives.

Plus, I need something with 3G UMTS 2100.