I need to clean my iMac's screen.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Catastrophe., May 6, 2012.

1. Catastrophe. macrumors member

Catastrophe.

It has gotten dirty. There's all finger prints and smudges all over it. How could I clean it safely?

2. iRooney macrumors 6502

iRooney

3. Dresevski macrumors 6502

I just use a microfiber cloth and condensation from my breath

4. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

5. jamin00 macrumors 6502

jamin00

Same here on my MBP, LCD TV etc. For stubborn mark I lick my finger and dab the mark then wipe with the micro fibre cloth.

I have a 2yr old boy so yes, I get stubborn marks all over my TV :(

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Don't waste money on fancy cleaning formulas - use what Apple recommends - a lint-free or microfiber cloth and water.

7. Lanarae macrumors member

I use Kirkland multi-purpose Lens Cleaner for cleaning my MacBook Pro and iPad. What's nice you can get free refills at Costco.:)

8. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I use rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) and a cloth -- put the alcohol on the cloth -- NOT on the screen, and then wipe your screen down. I like using isopropyl alcohol better than Windex, because Windex contains other chemicals that are left after it evaporates. Alcohol evaporates and leaves NOTHING. Very clean and no streaks.

9. phonitron macrumors member

Yip. This guy is spot on. You don't need to buy anything other than a microfiber cloth from your nearest supermarket. Couple of quid at most for a few. One damp, then use a dry one to buff the damp bits. Wax on wax off style.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How to clean Apple products

Apple also gives instructions on how to clean your Mac in the User Guides for the MBA, MBP and iMac:
    Also, you'll find plenty of suggestions by searching through the many existing threads on this topic.

11. Mister Bumbo macrumors 6502

Gawd that picture makes me cringe, my iMac just turned 3 years old and a naked finger has never touched the screen. Ever. That's how it should be right? I'm not crazy?

I use, as some others mentioned, a microfiber cloth with water first and then wipe it off with the still dry part of the cloth, works perfectly. Never used any chemicals or alcohol whatsoever and probably never will.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

13. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

I use iKlear and it's done wonders compared to what water could ever do.

Hell, they even use iKlear in Apple stores to clean all the screens. It's the best cleaner I've ever used and it comes with a lot at a reasonable price.

14. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I use a damp t-shirt. Works very well. I use rubbing alcohol on the rest of my MacBook Pro, but only water on the screen.