I need to clean my iphone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FatPuppy, Jul 15, 2014.

1. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

I want to clean all the ports and buttons on my iphone 4, is it ok if I use isopropyl alcohol with 99% alcohol? I heard that this liquid dissolve stuff pretty quick, will it harm my iphone? Anyone used it before?

2. rrm74001 macrumors regular

rrm74001

SOURCE: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3226#iphones

I would probably advise against using alcohol. Do your best with a microfiber cloth and warm water. If you need more than that, use an alcohol and ammonia free screen cleaner. This is what I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Klear-Screen-Computer-Monitor-Keyboard/dp/B0018CPCT8

3. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I think it's fine for surface cleaning. Just remember to turn the phone off, and to not soak the device in liquid. Use a clean towel dampened with the rubbing alcohol.

For ports though, I would not put any liquid into them. I use a thin piece of plastic to clean lint out of ports.

4. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

Thats good for wiping the outside, just because the phone goes places you dont want on your face later.

5. sideshow23bob macrumors member

Re: rubbing alcohol

I had a friend clean his iPhone 4S with some rubbing alcohol (a light amount in a light rag) and he said it worked well for him. Best of luck.

6. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I just dip mine in a can of gasoline and swish it around once and a while.

7. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Hm yeah, not bad, I can also just put in the dish washer.

8. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

But a microwave will kill the germs.

9. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

That's brilliant really. Gasoline then microwave. Clean yet sterile! Maybe we need a YouTube channel?

10. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Just make sure not to place it next to your revolver otherwise the gun may scratch your iPhone.

11. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

And don't carry it in the same pocket as your sand collection.

12. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Um i use my shirt to clean my phone. And then i use a tooth pick to get the crap out of the speaker/microphone/ 30 pin dock connector.

Lol at the other post in this thread :D

13. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Let's put it this way. It's a solvent. Solvents can wash away the good (coatings, adhesives, contact lubricants) as well as the bad.

It's also electrically conductive. Just because it's only 1% water doesn't mean it can't cause a short circuit.

There is no recommended preventative maintenance for switch contacts, and without knowing the internal construction of the switch modules and everything around them, pouring anything over them may be pointless, and lead to unintended side-effects.

If you're going to clean out the 30-pin or Lightning port (accumulated pocket lint), I'd suggest a very flexible, plastic toothpick. Non-conductive, too soft to scratch off gold contact plating and the like, lint-free.

14. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

I had a friend that had so much lint jammed up in the 30-pin connector that he came to me one day and said "My iPhone won't charge" I instantly knew what was wrong when the connector would only go in about 3/4ths of the way. I spent 30 minutes picking crap out of that port (with a small paper clip to get around the 30 pin connector.) because it had been shoved in there for so long trying to get the phone to charge.

Moral of the story, keep those ports clean. A lot easier to blow loose stuff out then pick it out later.