I need to connect my iPhone to my car stereo.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rei101, Jul 26, 2014.

1. rei101 macrumors 6502a

Hi guye

I have a 2004 BMW 330Ci. The radio does not have bluetooth and I want to listen to my music from my iPhone.

I believe I could have a mini jack cable connected some how but here they are charging me about $200 to install it.

What other options do you know? Like a transmitter that allows me to select a radio station or something. I do not want to replace the original stereo but let me know what you know that is out there that works.

Thank you.

2. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

You could get a FM transmitter like you mentioned above but they tend to have poor sound quality because of the regulations limiting the strength of the antenna.

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I would get the cable installed. My dad has gone through a few transmitters, they are very hit and miss it seems. $200 is a small price to pay in comparison.

4. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I would poke around some BWM forums for DIY's on adding such an AUX cable. My buddy did this w/ his 06 Mini; purchased a 3.5mm audio adapter ,that plugged into his factory head unit, online...we knocked it out in 20 min in his driveway.

You could also check crutchfield.com to see what they have for your car...great online audio store.

5. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Like some of the previous posters have said, getting an aux-in installed is far better than any other solutions. It also provides the best audio playback. FM transmitters are just crappy and it's almost unusable in a big city.

The great thing about having an aux-in is that you can have Bluetooth streaming functionality. There's several on the market right now that allows BT Audio Stream through the aux-in.

Here's one:

http://www.amazon.com/Miccus-Mini-jack-RX-Bluetooth-Receiver/dp/B0038MA11U

[​IMG]

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Long ago I tried the FM transmitter thing with my iPod - and like the others here have stated, it was terrible.

I went ahead and had a new stereo put in my truck at the time, it cost me nearly $300, but I was able to connect my iPod to it and control it through the stereo's interface. It even had remote control.

If you can have similar functionality installed for $200, I'd say that's a steal. What are you waiting for?

7. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Does it have a cassette player? I put in a cassette that connects to my phone :D

8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I wouldn't bother with FM transmitters; just go for an aux jack.

Search around to see if there are any DIY guides for doing it to your car. I did this with my car (not a BMW). It was trivial, took 15 min, and was far cheaper than paying someone else to do it.

9. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907