Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

talmy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Pages is a bad archiving format -- Pages '09 is the last version that will open Pages documents prior to Pages '09, of which I've got hundreds. The latest Pages won't open them, nor will any other programs I've got.

Now I could open up one at a time, and print to PDF to the same folder. This would take hours of tedious and boring effort.

What I'm looking for is some utility or perhaps AppleScript or Automator program that will do this for me -- find all Pages documents in a folder hierarchy and convert them.

My investigation into this has only yielded that there is an embedded PDF in the document file (which is actually a ZIP archive) that can be extracted, however I've found that's only true for Pages '09 docs, not earlier ones, and simply opening and saving the old docs with Pages '09 won't create that PDF. :(

Last edited:

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
An Automator script may work also. I don't have Pages 09 to try one out though.

I think it even works to the point that you could drag the file to the script on your desktop and it runs automatically.

talmy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.