Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cayzi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
Hi!

I read a lot of threads about new iMac - how bad is 20"model etc.

Know I'm choicing between 24" old and 24" new model.

The old 24 model spec are:
2.16 Dual 2 Core
320Gb
2Gb RAM
Ge Force 7300 128Mb

If the new one I will take
320Gb
2Gb RAM
ATI 7600 256Mb

What is main main problem here is a sceen. My hobby is photography so I need good screen. It is importand that I can evaluate highlights, shadows, colors.

Can anybody who also works with photos tell me how bad or good is new 24" iMac comapre to old one if he used it.

Thanks!

pepto

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2007
I think that this has been discussed in another thread here.

Basically, it links to a discussion on dpreview.com where people are not impressed with the quality of the new screens.

The 'old' 24 inch has a great display and I would bet that it is better suited to photo editing than the newer models.

cayzi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
I belive that new 24" have great colors etc...
But I need monitor for photo editing not for Word, web browsing, etc...

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Yes, I find the 2.16 is great with Aperture, Photoshop CS3, etc. The screen is better and you should be able to get a good deal on one. Mine has no issues and on the whole, this model seemed fairly issue-free.

Do bear in mind that the 2.8 should be quite fast. If you don't need to be picky about the screen, you might want to consider that. Personally, the amount of glare that the glass generates is just a killer for me.

rest44

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2006
It´s sad for Apple that people are thinking on buying the older model instead of the new one. And it´s not for lower prices.. so this must mean something..

cayzi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
My main concern is how good is new 24" for photography.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.