I Need To Get A 7GB File.......

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bbbensen, Jun 25, 2008.

1. bbbensen macrumors 6502

I need to get a 7GB folder from a friend who is far away. Do you guys have any ideas to have it sent to me? I cant find anything that will........

Thank you!:)

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I remember reading a few articles...

1) When filming the Lord of the Rings trilogy in New Zealand, the raw footage was shipped back to London to be edited, via iPod. Basically they had an army of iPods that were used as portable hard drives to transfer the digital footage. or something like that.

2) When google is setting up servers, and they need to transfer terabytes worth of data, they put it on hard drives and overnight them. Although they could send the data over the internet, it would take longer then it takes to overnight hard drives.

From this, I can conclude that your best bet is to put your 7 gigs of data onto a DVD or two and mail them to you.

3. bbbensen thread starter macrumors 6502

Although I didnt say this, its needs to be over the internet....

I didnt think about zipping it. That might be an option.

Its all the Sims 2 games. Since my HDD died, I havent had a way to play it on my new computer....:eek:

My addiction is horrible.

4. dws90 macrumors regular

7GB is a lot for the internet, but if you insist...

You'll definitely want to compress it a bunch using gzip or the like, but you'll still have a large fill. From their, your best bet would probably be Jungledisk (http://www.jungledisk.com). Have your friend upload it to an account (which will take quite a while), then you can download it onto your computer.

Incidentally, Jungledisk/Amazon S3 does have a 5GB file size limit. If you're transferring one 7GB file, then that won't work. If you're just transferring a bunch of <5GB files, then you're fine.

5. bbbensen thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh well.

Thanks for the responses.

Ill just have her give it to me via FireWire next time I see her or something.:rolleyes:

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Burn the file to a DL DVD-ROM and then overnight it. This is what I would do.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

For that matter, I don't see why sending it via a less costly route (e.g. USPS media mail in the US) is not an option when waiting until the next time you see your friend / girlfriend / sister / whatever is an option. It would only cost you a few dollars, and in a few days, you'd have your software back.

If the two computers can be on all the time, you should be able to use P2P software... something like this:

http://filesharefreak.com/tutorials/transmission-creating-seeding-torrents-on-mac/

I don't know if Transmission can be made to make the torrent private to minimize the risk that someone else tried torrenting it from you and someone concluded you're a pirate....

8. .adam macrumors regular

aDrive offers 50GB or storage for free - may be a solution. The upload speeds are going to kill you though.

9. xplor macrumors regular

xplor

i dont know if there is a mac app that does this but...

in windows you have winRar. it can split your file in how many files you want and in the size you want, i think its worth to try.

10. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Yeah, zip it, make many many 5 mb files and send something like 1500 emails. :)

11. nplima macrumors 6502a

P2P is your cheap and slow solution.

get Folder Share (www.foldershare.com) and get it done over a few days/weeks/years :D

12. DaveF macrumors 6502a

You can easily get 7GB online storage space. If you have .Mac, you're set. You may have that from your ISP. For $5/mo, a place like Mozy provides the space. Or you can have 2GB for free.

If your pal with the 7GB of data has a normal broadband connection, it will take at least 2 days to upload the data and likely even longer depending on their computer use.

So it will take 2 days to upload and then 4 hours to download. It could be faster to burn to a DVD, as suggested, and mail it.

Or you can go to the store and buy the software and be done with it in about an hour :)

[
    7 GB = 7*1024*1024*8 kb = 58,720,256 kb.
    Assume 350 kbps upload speed, typical for US residential broadband
    58,720,256 kb / 350 kbps = 167772.16 s = 46 hrs to upload
    ]

13. krye macrumors 68000

krye

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You need to test the files before sending, otherwise it's likely you'll send files that won't work.

Of course it's available, just search macupdate or versiontracker before posting "I don't know if..."

15. vaiol123 macrumors newbie

You could spread it over a bunch of free file sharing hosts but that would take a long time.

16. bbbensen thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, shes not the most computer savy person I know, so I think it would be good just to wait till I get home.

Although that WinRar sounds tempting....

17. thecrackerjack macrumors member

I have sent many a 4gb files to friends online via p2p, chat programs and sftp.

The simplest example I can provide is get the other person to get an AOL Instant Messenger account (you can use these on your mac in iChat as well) and then direct connect to you and sent you the file in cut up rar files. The reason for cutup rar files is if the transfer fails. I break mine up into 150mb chunks when sending footage to a friend to edit.

Its not the fastest but it works, on my connection of ~80 up it will take 2 days.

If you want something faster have them put the rars onto a DVD or TWO (or a flash drive and you have something to keep) and go to a local college or library and send them to you. Much faster again using the direct connect in AIM.

Good luck.