I need to get away from TWC!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mushrooshi, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Mushrooshi macrumors regular

Starting around Augustish, Time Warner Cable will impose bandwidth caps of only 5gb for $30/mo, and an additional $1/GB. I am a MASSIVE user of bandwidth: I download linux distros (from 800mb to 5gb), I watch download LOTS of media, around 30gb average, mostly anime, and I use many downloaded apps, such as Autodesk Inventor Student Edition, which is about 3gb. I download with torrents as well... legal stuff [sometimes] (Please don't get on me on that. I don't need another person yelling "PIRACY IS BAAAD!"). There is legit stuff I download from torrents aswell, because it is much faster. I also manage a personal webserver on port 80, and I am planning to add an email server aswell. My family would easily use all 5GB anyways, with youtube and streaming video, and music.

Can you guys suggest some ISPs:

• In the San Antonio area
    • Fast speed, higher than 1MBPS (8MbPS)
    • No bundles, our house is fine with TWC cable and phone
    • Bundles are good if we can keep our number, and if it is better for around the same or lower price
    • Does not stop/throttle/choke torrents
    • Allows me to manage a webserver hosted on that network
    • Decent upload speed for youtube, my server, and torrents
    • No bandwidth caps
    • Static IPs are avaliable for a reasonable price/free

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I thought you were getting away from The Weather Channel.:eek::p

I fear that bandwidth caps will become the norm where ever you go.

As for torrents I wonder when IPS's will start to block those as well.

3. Love macrumors 68000

Love

Have you considered AT&T DSL? Their 6Mbps option is only $35 and looks as if it's available.

Additionally, Qwest DSL at 7Mbps is available for $46.99/mo.

4. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

I second this notion...I've had them for a few years [after leaving TWC] and they are dope.

5. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I use Qwest DSL. I don't know if they plan on doing this, but if Comcast gets away with it, it will be the norm. Every since I heard about this I have been keeping track of my net usage. So far, just using my iMac, I have been tracking for 3 days now and have used 4GB. This does not include the usage of my 360 while watching NetFlix or playing games over live.