I need to get my Snow Leopard DVD onto USB from Windows.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Bammeh, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Bammeh, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010

Bammeh macrumors member

I currently do not have access to my Mac. I am in kernel panic.

The Snow Leopard disc has been badly scratched due to the mac. i have been trying to repair the kernel panic with it, and it pretty much scratched it badly.

So, I am using my Windows PC to make an .iso of the DVD with Alcohol120%

I bought a 16GB USB because all of my DL-DVDs are not with me right now.
    Is there ANY way for me to put the Snow Leopard DVD onto my flash drive so I can boot from it like I would the original disc? or even better if i can install OS X onto this flash drive from my Windows PC so I can access all the files on the Macbook hard drive?

With Alcohol120% it said it couldnt read the disc at a certain sector :/ I think my disc is destroyed...

2. andymodem macrumors 6502a

First thing I always do with every new install disk is create an image of it and dump it onto my server.

In your case though, at the point your at I would just download a Snow Leopard DVD image off the internet.

3. Bammeh thread starter macrumors member

I am currently doing that also, Do i need to burn it to a disc or can i just put it on the USB?

and how will i make the usb bootable?

4. andymodem macrumors 6502a

I don't think you'll be able to in Windows. The only option I'm aware of in Windows would be to first build a VMWARE install of Snow Leopard or see if there are any prebuilt ones you could download.

5. Bammeh thread starter macrumors member

nvm i cant link to it.
    but, something like this?:

MacOSX Snow leopard 10.6.2.0 for VmWare (2010) | 2,34 GB

Preinstalled Mac OS X Snow leopard Universal v3.6 (10.6.2) in VMware Workstation 7 (2010).

6. andymodem macrumors 6502a

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Let me begin by saying that andymodem's suggestion is a terrible one. The major candidates for successful breaches of MacOS X security are trojans embedded in pirated software. In fact, a pirated copy of MacOS X with embedded malware is technically not MacOS X. Lest someone accuse me of spreading FUD, there are no reports of a successful breach of Apple computer security via an altered pirated copy of MacOS X. It is just that if such an exploit is ever successful, then it will be extremely difficult to protect you.

Now to your issue. You cannot boot your Mac from a disc image file. It is my understanding that you can boot an Intel-based Mac from a USB drive. However, you must install the OS on the drive.

8. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

You are unable to clone a Mac OS X DVD onto a USB drive using Windows. While the link you used would work, that would be illegal. We don't condone that on our forums.

Go burn it onto another DVD instead.

9. Bammeh thread starter macrumors member

okay so even if i got my hands on a retail copy downloaded, that wouldnt work?

not even the vmware solutions?

10. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

As far as I know, a "retail" copy cannot be downloaded legally. Apple does not offer the option for you to download Mac OS X on their website.

If you bought a retail copy, you could re-install. There is nothing preventing you from doing that.

11. Bammeh thread starter macrumors member

I could order a replacement disk, I guess. :/

12. andymodem macrumors 6502a

I'm sure Apple would frown just as much on that as you running a hackintosh and violating their license.

13. Bammeh thread starter macrumors member

Well, I'm gonna try the VMWARE route AND order a new disk :/

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It's $29 retail go buy it.

Btw your story smells funny. Mac scratching up your disk? Do you think a Mac plays a DVD like a record player?

15. Bammeh thread starter macrumors member

Lol, i can take a picture with my username, date etc and the disc if i have to.

I bought my Macbook from Micro Center last black friday.