I need to get win 7 as the rc is almost history

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by steve knight, Feb 16, 2010.

1. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

but what I have not found out is can I use an upgrade version or do I need the full Monty? it would save me 80.00 if I don't get the full thing.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You cannot upgrade the RC
    And I would say you need the full version

However, there are those who say you can Google instructions on how you can do a full install from the upgrade version

Obviously, I don't recommend it since that is fraudulent

3. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

I am asking more because of the effort and cost. I have full versions of xp and vista. I just don't want to have to install them. bad enough that I will end up having to redo everything.
    just got a full version on ebay for 104.00

4. Keleko macrumors 68000

Actually, I've seen arguments from respected Windows columnists that buying the upgrade version to install is not fraudulent because MS provides the tools to install it. If MS didn't want it to work, they would make it impossible to install the upgrade as if it were a full version. How to do it is well known, and yet MS does nothing to prevent it.

5. Keleko macrumors 68000

If you have full versions of XP or Vista, you are legally in the clear with an upgrade version of Windows 7. You can install the upgrade without install one of the others first.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Windows licensing is so complicated it is not funny.

All I can say is read the licenses and decide for yourself.

B

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

This. In the Windows 7 Upgrade box there is even a little leaflet telling you what to do when upgrading from XP. (Hint: Erase and Clean Install).

8. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

From what I've read, as long as you own a previous version of windows, then buying the upgrade disk for Win7 is just fine, legally. I bought the upgrade for Win7 Pro and installed it clean on my mac with no problems (other than somewhat shoddy performance ;).

9. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

The instructions basically just consist of installing Win7, NOT activating it with the license code, then re-installing it while activating it with the license code the 2nd time around. Worked for me. Microsoft made this possible because they always recommend a fresh, clean install when switching operating systems. You'd probably have issues if you just slapped Windows 7 on top of an old copy of Vista.

10. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Wow, I can't believe that a columnist would write such crap. Just because you CAN steal it doesn't mean you SHOULD steal it. The reason MS doesn't prevent you from doing a clean install with the upgrade disk is because there are legitimate upgrade paths that require a clean install (XP -> Win7). I'm thankful that MS didn't cripple the upgrades like they had done in the past, nothing would suck more to have to upgrade to vista first, then to Win7. Or even worse, if you machine died and you put in a new drive, install XP, then upgrade to Vista, then upgrade to Win7; this would suck! At least now it's easy to get back to 7.

No, if you are using the upgrade disks, you need to LEGALLY own the previous version.

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That's the fundamental problem. (At least in the US). You don't own the software, you license it. So how are you supposed to know if you have a legitimate license without reading and understanding the license agreement you have entered?

Neither NewEgg nor the customer are doing anything illegal by exchanging money for an OEM copy of Windows 7. Once the transaction is complete, the customer legally own the install disc and product key. However it does not follow that use of those bits on a personal home PC is compliant with the terms under which the software is licensed. So what is the legal status of that license then?

FWIW I have not seen any columns saying that it is OK to buy an upgrade edition for use when you don't already have an underlying qualifying license, but I have seen this nice piece by Ed Bott covering the use of OEM licenses by individuals http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1561

The whole thing is a mess, and as Ed says don't ask Microsoft.

There have been numerous posts in the forum where folks have gotten answers from Microsoft that seem to be in direct contradiction with their own licenses and fine print. e.g. the $29 student htttp://win741.com deal. The offer didn't say "upgrade" until you read some fine print in a FAQ. And, the .exe/.box installer screams upgrade, and the key says upgrade. Yet, directly asking Microsoft says that it's a full license and OK to install on bare metal. WTF.

B

12. mslide macrumors 6502a

You can either buy the full retail version, the upgrade retail version or the OEM version (along with some other options of getting windows 7). All licensing issues aside, going with any of those three will allow you to do clean installs without having to install XP/Vista first and the results will be the same (i.e. you'll have the same OS when the install is finished). You can decide for yourself if you want to follow the licensing agreements or not.