I need to install Mac Drivers for Win 7 64 bit but...

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by HadItWithWindow, Jul 2, 2010.

1. HadItWithWindow macrumors regular

I have MacBook Pro 5.5 MacOsX Ver 10.6.4 with Windows 7 64 bit installed via Boot Camp.

The instructions clearly indicate I need to update Mac Drivers for Windows.

I have no idea where to install the drivers, on the Mac side or on the Windows side.

I tried to install the driver updates for Windows 7 64 bit on the Mac side and when I clicked on the down load the preview window was garbage gobbi speak.
    The only thing legible in English was at the top it said for Windows 32 bit. I clearly clicked twice on the download link for 64 bit.

Before I go any further would someone be kind enough to direct me to the proper install for the drivers telling me which partition to do the updates, Win side or Mac side?

I installed Win7 from a new install. This was not an upgrade disc. Also have Office 2010 installed.

Thanks in advance

2. HadItWithWindow thread starter macrumors regular

Yes. Ive read that page

Apple indicated the drivers are available on their web which is what I attempted to download. The os disc is out of date prior to Win 7

3. celticpride678

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The drivers on the web are an updater. You need to follow celticpride678's instructions to get the Apple Software Updater from Boot Camp 3.0 installed so the latest drivers will be loaded from the web.

B

5. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I don't quite understand what you're trying. Seems like you're downloading the drivers from the Apple website. For the initial install, you don't do this.

Pop in your Snow Leopard install DVD. It should start the setup automatically. If not, go to Computer and start the setup from there.

That should get you up and running. If you need any help, post here or PM me. I've had PLENTY of experience with Boot Camp.

Mine has been running Windows 7 x64 perfectly for months now. The only problem I have now is I'm running out of hard drive space... oh and the trackpad still sucks.

6. HadItWithWindow thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks to you and Celtic. Appreciate the info I was seeking. One more ?.

This presumes Boot Camp 3.0 is on the MBP operating system discs?

7. TheMythTheMan macrumors newbie

8. HadItWithWindow thread starter macrumors regular

When I tried to download 3.1 it said 'you need 3.0 first' :(

9. tomllama macrumors regular

Follow the Apple instructions to load Windows (exactly) and after you do the boot camp driver install (which does 3.0) reboot into Win7 and then run the Apple Update from the start menu and it will install 3.1 for you.

You can check what boot camp version you have by clicking the boot camp icon in the system tray (lower right) when in Win7.

Note that boot camp 3.0/3.1 is what goes with 10.6. With 10.5, it's boot camp 2.0/2.2. I just upgraded to a new Mac Pro and then upgraded from XP to Win7 (x64) and the software install could not have been easier (Microsoft is finally catching up to the rest of the universe).